Summer Camps MS-TN Area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Question for those who live in this neck of the woods...looking into sending dd to a softball camp this summer. Memphis State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Rhodes are all having camps. How do you pick the best camp for your daughter? Mississippi State is the only one that is offering a "resident" camp - the others are commuters only. Trying to get this figured out so we can have her signed up soon. Varsity coach said she didn't know much about any of them but attending would be better than not. Any advice?? Thanks! :)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I have heard good things about the Miss State camp from the head of our umpire association. Some of the bigger schools like Alabama and Auburn have tons of kids there so even though they get good instruction there's less one on one time. He told me Miss State had less girls there and had high quality coaches that worked it.

I will say if Birmingham isn't to far for you UAB is outstanding. In the hitting clinic they did a good job breaking them down by ability so they were able to focus on what they needed. Also most camps give you a write up about your child. I watched Coach Towensend personally watch each girl there and make notes. Also when I had the chance to speak to her and ask her for some tips about my daughter's swing she pulled her out of her group and spent about 20 minutes working with us alone to show me what I could do to help her.

My DD is playing her 2nd year of 6U. She made all stars last year and honestly would probably been the 11th best hitter out of 13 girls. This season she was one of the best in our entire league and only struck out once. The two or three girls that hit the ball farther were just alot bigger than her. I give all the credit to what we learned at the UAB clinic. Brand new facility as well.

Thanks for the input. Birmingham is 3 hours from here, State not as far. We are going to register her this week with them and see how it goes. She is really excited about going and has a willingness to learn. I think it's going to be good for her all the way around - different girls, different coaches, different setting. The up coming varsity season is going to be a tough one - still rebuilding - so she is going to have to step up her game in order to compete, be played and seen as a strong player by her coach (which is, at best, an extremely difficult thing to do). :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13