Suggestions for List of Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Coaches -

I need some suggestions for a list of questions I'm putting together to ask my eighth grade rec team to get them to think/discuss softball situations. During water breaks at our practice when girls are on the bench, the coaches want to be able to discuss situations or scenarios with them on what to do and why, basically get them thinking, so they can develop a true understanding of the game and not be robots and just wait for the coach to tell them to do something. Here's just a quick example off the top of my head:

You are a runner at 3B with less than two outs. The batter hits a routine fly ball to mid RF. It hits the RF's glove but pops straight up into the air and she catches it before it hits the ground. What do I do?

1. Go halfway and watch to see if she catches the ball and come back and tag if she does.
2. Come back to the bag so I can be ready to go once she catches the ball.
3. Come back to the bag, go when the ball hits her glove, but come back and re-touch when she actually catches it.
4. Come back to the bag, go when the ball hits her glove whether she bobbles it or catches it.
5. Listen to the coach and take all my cues from him.

The purpose, as you can tell, is to get some discussion going and to really educate girls on the game. Sometimes there might not be a clear definitive answer. Sometimes one answer might be better than another but both would work. Sometimes the strength/knowledge of the player on offense/defense would be the determining factor in what you do. As I said, we use this for educational purposes during breaks to keep the conversation from devolving into "girl chatter."

Any scenarios and/or ideas are welcomed and appreciated!!!

Aug 5, 2012
Ask the girls a situational question and then ask if they have any questions for you. You might be surprised by the questions you get and be ready because they may ask you some doozies, especially rule questions.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Infield fly rule is always fun.

Maybe a dropped 3rd strike with a runner on 1st, what do you do when someone is running to the base you are occuppying?

They are also old enough to learn about scoring.

Runner on 1st, batter hits the ball and the runner on 2nd is forced out. Is that a hit since you are on 1st?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Runner on first, no outs or even 1 out. The ball is hit to the first baseman. She fields the ball, touches 1st and throws to second. What does the second base man have to do? If it is your girl on first does she have to keep running to second?

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
All great suggestions so far. Keep them coming.

To address CB, no, all their break time is not filled with instruction. However, what I have found is if I let them "take over the conversation," I've usually wasted time. Many times we will go over signs, asking the girls to demonstrate.

Where I saw this really help is several years ago on my 14U team with runners on first and second with two outs and a pop to SS, umpire calls IF fly, batter's out, my SS purposely let the ball drop and the runner on 2B, thinking she had to run, ran right into the tag. That's, of course, rare, but it would never have happened if we had not discussed it and then implemented it in practice.

In rec ball you are extremely limited on practice time so the need to use every bit of it is important. I'm always reminded of this when I look over to an adjacent field and see a coach hitting balls to eight girls at SS and a girls at first and catcher. There's nothing I hate more than girls standing around.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
IMO, girls in 8th grade (and boys for that matter) don't want to listen to us coaches 'talk'. Pure and simple, that's just how it is. You have maybe 1 minute until you lose them mentally. What has worked well with us is doing some kind of pizza party type gathering and have some sort of 'Softball Jepordy' game about the rules. we usually have a board gridded 5 by 5, 5 questions each row worth 100 to 500 points. Of course, the 100 points are the easy questions, 200 pts a little tougher, etc. Split them into 2 teams and let them pick what questions they want. If one team gets their question wrong, the other team can steal the points if they can get it right.

Hope that didn't confuse too many people!! :p The girls seem to stay into it because of the competition factor. You could even have candybars for the winning team! HTH

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Runner on 3rd and a fly ball to rf...immediately get to the bag and tagged up, ready to sprint... never wait half way. By waiting you have eliminated yourself from scoring on a fly ball out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283