Success requires patience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've talked before how we live in an "instant results" type of world. If we want popcorn we toss a bag in the microwave and three minutes later there it is. If we want to see our favorite TV show or movie we just hit the On Demand button and there it is. And so forth.

Yet it never fails to surprise me when a player or student lacks the patience to learn something new. Last night I was working with a pitcher, second lesson for her with me. Her mom brought her to me because she felt she was stalled where she was. After we worked basic mechanics and locations, I asked what other pitches she threw. She told me a changeup, so I said let's see it.

After watching a couple I asked what type of change she was throwing. (I always ask in case what I see isn't what they're supposed to be doing.) She told me a handshake change. Not my favorite, personally, because to make it work I find most pitchers slow down as they go to release. So I asked if she was willing to try something different. (Normally I don't ask, but with HS tryouts around the corner I figured I should check.) She said sure -- what else was she going to say -- so I showed her the backhand change.

After trying it two or three times, and having it work better each time (although not great) she said she was getting frustrated. I was shocked. I mean, how good do you think it will be throwing it three times ever? But apparently she just figured it was like instant cocoa -- add a little water and you're all set.

We continued to work at it and she got better. But I wonder how much she's going to continue to work on it. Work being the operative word.

Learning to do anything well -- pitch, hit, play an instrument, ride a bike, perform brain surgery -- takes time. If you're not willing to put in the time, you're going to have a tough time competing. Accept getting a little better each day, as Bobby Simpson likes to say, and you'll find yourself happier and better in the long run.

More...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am disappointed my DD might need more than 1 pitching lesson, next thing someone will tell me is that she needs to practice.

Not as nice but: In order to move ahead sometimes you need to move backwards

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I always say if I could teach them to be a great pitcher in one lesson, lessons would cost $1,000 each and there would be a line a mile long to take it.

Feb 8, 2009
I always tell my kids that learning how to struggle is the best lesson they will ever learn. I'm sure it goes in one year and out the other.

Nov 29, 2009
I always say if I could teach them to be a great pitcher in one lesson, lessons would cost $1,000 each and there would be a line a mile long to take it.

Whenever I start with a new student I bring out a great prop. My catcher's mitt. It's worn out, the pocket has come apart. The stuffing is literally coming out of it. The leather is torn and I've repaired the laces several times. I tell them the glove was new when my daughter started pitching. Then I tell them if they have enough drive to do that to a catcher's glove they have the potential to be a good pitcher.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That's a good one Sparky. It really shows the kind of work it takes to get good at something. Much easier to visualize than just saying "work hard" or "practice a lot" too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd