Subs vs extra player vs a coach new to 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

This sounds like a highly dysfunctional Rec league, perhaps a text book case of what to do. In our league, the coaches are competitive but not combative. We all work together to ensure fair competition and a fun experience for the kids. Sounds like you might want to work toward getting people working towards a model that is about the kids, not the wanna-be, blow-hard, travel ball coaches you seem to have.

Guess maybe our rec is a little different but we use these rules and don't think anything of it...no continuous batting order etc., we stop that stuff at 8U, although we do use 5 run per inning rule (so I guess we do make concessions). If you think this guy has it rough try having 14 girls and having to play by these rules...that means 5 girls on the bench all the time. Yes you can EP two girls and I do sometimes when they all show up. Biggest problem is turning over your line up with 11 batters some games you only get through the line up twice.

Basically the EP lets you have an 11 player batting order then on defense you can basically sub out your EP with any of the defensive player as long as the batting order does not change, in other words if the player gets hurt your EP can't sub since while they can play defense they can't take the injured players place in the line up because as the EP they already have a place in the line up, if you did not have any subs your EP can play defense for the injured player but when the hurt players turn comes up in the line up that would be an out.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Not too long ago NSA was the only organization that seemed to use the EP. I remember we used to play friendlies "by NSA rules", which meant EPs and "relaxed substitutions". Now that USSSA and PONY allow EPs, it is really not so exotic anymore, so we play our friendlies as bat the lineup and free substitution.

My point about this is that the EPs allow you to get more kids in the game and playing time - it is not supposed to be some hard to understand rule that gives one coach an advantage over another. I agree with Axe above, it does sound like a highly dysfunctional group of inmates running the asylum.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Guess maybe our rec is a little different but we use these rules and don't think anything of it...no continuous batting order etc., we stop that stuff at 8U, although we do use 5 run per inning rule (so I guess we do make concessions).

Every Rec league has some quirky rules simple or complicated, its the apparent attitude of the coaches that I find disconcerting.

Apr 18, 2012
New Mexico
Thank you all for your input. We had a good first game. We got clobbered, thankful for the 7 run per inning rule they cut the game at 55 minutes with a score of 16 to 1. At least we scored. We did bat through the entire line up. The girls were prepared in practice but they got nervous and the rest is history. I since learned some thing about the other team. For example, their 9 y/o pitcher has an arm injury because her crazy parents want her to be some kind of sensation. Yes she is good but at what cost? I consulted a number of people over the weekend so that I can go back to my team with confidence and show them that we are pure awesomeness because we show up and suit up and play no matter what the score. I wish I knew more about the sport but I don't but I make up for it in confidence boosting and encouragement. I have a plan to approach the girls with tell me one thing you did right, now tell me one thing you could work on, now tell me something one of your teammates did excellent. Tomorrow is another game and another chance to have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish