Subs in the batting lineup (USSSA FP)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
If you are batting all 11 and do not have any subs, and a girl gets hurt and cannot bat, every time her position comes up in the batting order it will be recorded as an out.

That is a very good point. Maybe I should re-think batting all 11 :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have a local rule that allows you to remove the batter from the game without penalty or keep them in the game and take the automatic out. No matter what you do some clever coach will abuse the rules.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If you are batting all 11 and do not have any subs, and a girl gets hurt and cannot bat, every time her position comes up in the batting order it will be recorded as an out.

Yes that's the crap of it. Dd broke her arm first inning, back up catcher gone, other team racks up 15 runs on past balls etc, we still had to take an out in innings 2 and 3.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes that's the crap of it. Dd broke her arm first inning, back up catcher gone, other team racks up 15 runs on past balls etc, we still had to take an out in innings 2 and 3.

What, that the coach isn't smart enough to keep players on the bench?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What, that the coach isn't smart enough to keep players on the bench?

Nope, guess not. Since it's the girls game and utrip allows all 11 to bat, I let all 11 bat. Sucks when someone gets hurt, but I still don't put injury in my play book. "Sorry Mr and Mrs Smith, I know everyone could bat, but if my daughter should get hurt, I need a sub so we don't have to take an out, so Janey will just be watching this weekend."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Nope, guess not. Since it's the girls game and utrip allows all 11 to bat, I let all 11 bat. Sucks when someone gets hurt, but I still don't put injury in my play book. "Sorry Mr and Mrs Smith, I know everyone could bat, but if my daughter should get hurt, I need a sub so we don't have to take an out, so Janey will just be watching this weekend."

Then I hope you aren't the coach, because that is pitiful. Part of managing a team is to manage the team.

They have invented this neat thing called "substitution" where those who didn't start the game can replace another player so everyone have the opportunity to play. And to make sure a team who thinks that it might be a nice idea to win a game and they need to better players to bring the game home or a sub gets hurt, the starting players are allowed to re-enter the game.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Let me think MTR, we have played usssa for 3 years now, probably 40 games a year. I can't think of a game we have played in usssa where both teams DID NOT bat 11 players. Most games I have 12 players, some I have 11, a few 10. When I have 11 or 10, 11 or 10 bat. 2 innings out of 120 or so games (120*5 avg innings per game =600 innings) it bit me in the a$$. That is .3% percent of the time. Changing our team for something that could happen .3% of the time, that is pitiful. ASA games we play 9 with 2 or 3 subs.

My dad always to me something about "hope".
"you can hope in one hand and $h1t in the other, see which one fills up faster"

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let me think MTR, we have played usssa for 3 years now, probably 40 games a year. I can't think of a game we have played in usssa where both teams DID NOT bat 11 players. Most games I have 12 players, some I have 11, a few 10. When I have 11 or 10, 11 or 10 bat. 2 innings out of 120 or so games (120*5 avg innings per game =600 innings) it bit me in the a$$. That is .3% percent of the time. Changing our team for something that could happen .3% of the time, that is pitiful. ASA games we play 9 with 2 or 3 subs.

My dad always to me something about hoping:
"you can hope in one hand and $h1t in the other, see which one fills up faster"

Maybe you can hope to read what is written and learn to stay on point. Your complaint was the requirement to take the out even though you have more than the minimum number of players.

There is a reason good coaches never completely empty the bench. Okay, so Lil' Susie doesn't get to play this one game, she can play the next and another player can be held in reserve.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the percentages are, if that is the method you are going to manage a team, don't whine about the ramifications of your actions.

I could not imagine how you would react if for some reason you were batting the bench and a player was ejected. Well, at least, you wouldn't have to worry about the automatice out.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Stay on point? Whine?
I was simply answering Quincy question of "what happens if one of the batters can not bat?"

Don't care about percentages? That is what the whole game of softball/baseball is about.

I am not playing or adjusting our team today or any day this year with the concern that one of my players is going to be ejected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06