Subs in the batting lineup (USSSA FP)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
In U-Trip I can bat 11. Can I bat my 2 subs anywhere in the lineup? Or do they have to bat 10 and 11?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
EH (extra hitters), if you are allowed to use them (depends on sanction) are allowed to bat anywhere in the line up, but you need to designate them as EH on the line up card, just like you do with your pitcher and catcher. If you use pinch runners for your pitcher and catcher it will be the last batted out since you do not have any 'subs'.

Jun 22, 2010
Somebody posted the rule on the other site, but here's the provision you're specifically asking about:

You Trip Roolz said:
The additional player(s) can also be used on defense (only 9 defensive players in the field), but must keep the same position in the batting order.

The way I think of it is this: when you use the AP's, you've got eleven defensive positions. Nine are on the field, and the other two are playing "bench." You can switch, say, the LF and the RF at any time, right? Same thing with switching LF and "bench." It's not a substitution; it's just a change of defensive positions. (You do need to report it to the umpire, though.)

Jun 22, 2008
Sec 3. ADDITIONAL PLAYER - Up to two additional players can be used to
increase the batting lineup to 10 or 11 batters. The additional player(s) will be
placed in the line up in the batting position(s) to be occupied. The additional
player(s) can also be used on defense (only 9 defensive players in the field),
but must keep the same position in the batting order. The additional player(s),
if used, must be selected prior to the start of the game, and their name(s) must
be included on the line up card presented to the Umpire. Failure to declare the
use of the additional player(s) prior to the game precludes the use of an
additional player(s) in that game. If a pinch-hitter or pinch runner is used for an
additional player, that player becomes the new additional player. The original
additional player(s) may re-enter like any other player under the re-entry rule.
If an additional player is used, the position must be used the entire game.

Jun 22, 2010
If you use pinch runners for your pitcher and catcher it will be the last batted out since you do not have any 'subs'.
JAD, I don't do UTrip, so it's always dangerous when I try to read their rules, but I don't see a provision for this; I'm reading 8-3 to say that the courtesy runner has to be someone not already in the game - in other words, that Izzy's Dad can't use one if there are no substitutes. Am I missing something (I probably am)?

Also, I wouldn't call it a "pinch runner" - that's a substitution. USSSA uses "courtesy runner."

Jun 22, 2008
If you dont have a legal sub to take that place in the batting lineup then you would have to take an out for the vacant batting spot.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What happens if a player is unable to bat for some reason?

If you are batting all 11 and do not have any subs, and a girl gets hurt and cannot bat, every time her position comes up in the batting order it will be recorded as an out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06