Stupd Safety Base Question....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
2014 nfhs softball rulebook
Rule 8 section10
Double first base(state association adoption)

Article 1. The defense must use the white portion and the batter-runner must use the colored portion when a play is being made on the batter runner.

Penalties(art.1)
1. the batter-runner is out when there is a play being made at first base and the batter-runner touches only the white portion provided the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to touch the white or colored base.

2. The batter runner is out for interference when there is a force play and the batter-runner touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white.(see rule 8-2-5 penalty)

3. Obstruction is called on the defense when there is a force play on the batter-runner, who toches only the colored portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball, while also on the colored portion. See rule 8-4-3b penalty.

Article 2. The offense or defense may use either the white or colored portion:
a. On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base.
b. on an errant throw pulling the defense into foul ground.
c. When the defensive player uses the cored portion of the double base, the batter runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it is not interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the runner is out.

Article 3. The offense may touch the white or colored base:
a. On a fail ball hit to the outfield with no play being attempted or when the runner is returning to first base.
b. on a fly ball tag-up play.
c. (F.p.) on an attempted pick-off play.
d. On a base on balls.

Dec 7, 2011
With my understanding of the "role" of the orange base...Yes, they must move. Thinking along the lines of what I said earlier...a ball hit to the gap for an extra base hit is not a "close play" at 1st base; this eliminates the role & need for the orange base.

In this case, it would be my argument that the orange base cannot be used when rounding 1st base; the batter-runner must touch the white base. If 1B is in her way it may be deemed obstruction by the umpire.
T

You reflect my feelings on this too - BUT in application I have seen a many umpires in the last 2-3 yrs call out the runner for using the inside corner of the white base to "round" first base stating that they should not initiate any contact with the "sleeping" firstbaseman. (even though I do believe there is a strategy taught by un-ethical coaches to have their usually bigger first baseman hug the corner to slow down the runner)

Dec 7, 2011
Article 3. The offense may touch the white or colored base:
a. On a fair ball hit to the outfield with no play being attempted or when the runner is returning to first base.

This is the one that is volatile when the offense wants to use the white base to "round" the bag.

DD has had the fortune to be on teams where many put-outs are made 9-3.

In these cases I beleive the batter AND the 1st baseman need to be on their toes (moreso than usual), because line drives to the right fielder have a very fine line between being a 9-3 put-out versus a double or triple if the right fielder bobbles anything on the play.

To me this is a very difficult umpire determination on at what point in the play do you expect the first baseman to be out of the way for a rounding runner.

I don't think there is a good answer here except for just plain ole common sense "best judgements"...

Jun 22, 2008
8-2-M-3 When a play is being made on a batter/runner, the defense must use the white portion and the batter/runner the contrasting color portion of the base.

Effect: The batter/runner is out when there is a play being made at first base and the batter/runner touches only the white portion, providing the defense appeals prior to the batter/runner returning to first base.

8-2-M-9 On plays at first base with the batter/runner touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white portion of the base.

Effect: Interference, the ball is dead, the batter/runner is out and runners must return to the last base occupied at the time of the interference.

May 29, 2013
This is the one that is volatile when the offense wants to use the white base to "round" the bag.

DD has had the fortune to be on teams where many put-outs are made 9-3.

In these cases I beleive the batter AND the 1st baseman need to be on their toes (moreso than usual), because line drives to the right fielder have a very fine line between being a 9-3 put-out versus a double or triple if the right fielder bobbles anything on the play.

To me this is a very difficult umpire determination on at what point in the play do you expect the first baseman to be out of the way for a rounding runner.

I don't think there is a good answer here except for just plain ole common sense "best judgements"...

That situation is covered in article 1 penalty 2. I'm not nor have i been an ump. I imagine it's no picnic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207