Stud in position or utility player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Our stud pitcher in Year 6 stopped playing at 14. Our third string pitcher just on a bronze medal at the world champs. Ability at age 12 is not always an indication of future success.

Feb 16, 2012
At this point she isn't a stud in any position just a good ball player. I actually do not want her to get a ball scholarship as it will be gone as soon as they need more money for the freshman pitcher they want. She has excellent grades (4.0) and will likely get an academic scholarship of some sort. She has fun playing any position on the field. She likes taking a hit away and throwing someone out as much as striking them out.

I am not trying to get ahead of myself just trying to make sure I steer her in the right direction so when the time comes she has prepared herself properly which is why I asked the question. She plays wherever she is needed and has fun with it.

I don't know her OBP as her coach will not share any stat info but if she has three at bats, on most days, she will be on base at least twice. She draws a lot walks working the count and will hit singles and doubles. She is not a big hitter just a consistent one.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Somehow DD became a utility player.

I mention this before but when DD’s current HC asked what position DD played I told him everywhere. He laughed and said he would settle her down into a position. He did the exact same thing to her as her previous coaches, she played every position in the field.

It is not that they are trying to find somewhere to hide her, she is just versatile and has a good attitude.

I think it is going to help DD in the long run.

I know she can be better at any individual position but she does a good job at all of them.

I don't know her OBP as her coach will not share any stat info but if she has three at bats, on most days, she will be on base at least twice. She draws a lot walks working the count and will hit singles and doubles. She is not a big hitter just a consistent one.

Keep your own scorebook for her...you'll have stats if you ever need them and it will prevent any arguments for future teams if there is a disagreement between you and coach about playing time based on stats. Unfortunately, I have seen it happen.

Somehow DD became a utility player.

I mention this before but when DD’s current HC asked what position DD played I told him everywhere. He laughed and said he would settle her down into a position. He did the exact same thing to her as her previous coaches, she played every position in the field.

It is not that they are trying to find somewhere to hide her, she is just versatile and has a good attitude.

I think it is going to help DD in the long run.

I know she can be better at any individual position but she does a good job at all of them.

My DD is working that way too...played MI for most of her career and now has added all three outfield spots. New coach wants her learn 3B. I'm all for that. Versatile and a good bat will get you places from what I hear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06