Stuck in the Outfield!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
At 10U the OF might seem like a punishment but by 14U there are kids that wish they could get time out there. Everyone likes the idea of their kid being a P or SS but the truely memorable plays are made by great athletes in the OF. Think of all the web gems you've seen and most are an OF robbing someone of a hit. Pulling the P's arse out of the fire by ending the inning and leaving runners stranded.

Do I think it's fair that a kid has been pigeon holed at 10? Nope, but then unless you are doing something to change it, life won't be fair.

I had the same conversation with one of our TB outfielders. I explained that while it's not always glamorous, it is ALWAYS important. The great plays made by infielders are quickly forgotten. The great plays by outfielders seem to last.

I recorded all of our HS games this year with a GoPro. For the athletic banquet I made a highlight video. Tons of great hits and big moments. Only one play drew a response, our right fielder caught a DEEP fly ball at the fence and crashed over/through that plastic temporary fence. Her team mates cheered almost as loudly during the video as they did during the game.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I always get a kick out of parents who "think" their DD should be playing a different position, but when asked if they have been practicing with their DD at home to learn the position, I always get a blank stare......teams have a limited amount of practice time and most coaches try to make the most of it. If every player on a 12 man roster takes a 30 minute batting lesson that equates to 6 hours of practice time! The same holds true for learning and mastering defensive skills.

^^^^ This.

If a kid is not getting enough time at a desired position during practice, then she needs to work on her own to develop her skills. I've had kids come up to me and ask me to play a different position because they have been working on it at home - I can always make that happen whether it is in a scrimmage or pool game. If a player (parent) comes to me to ask to play a different position, and they've done nothing to learn it ahead of time, I will do my best during practice, but there are not enough reps for every kid at every position.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree w/ everyone's advice on how every player must embrace her role in the field, whatever it is. ... Also agree that as players age, playing the outfield becomes very fun and important. My DD is now an outfielder, and she wouldn't have it any other way. She loves it.

That said, I just want to set the record straight, as I see it:

In the younger age divisions, OF is not more fun, it is not just as important, and it is not going to develop a player's overall defensive skills as quickly as playing the infield would. And most kids are smart enough to know that.

Jan 24, 2011
I agree w/ everyone's advice on how every player must embrace her role in the field, whatever it is. ... Also agree that as players age, playing the outfield becomes very fun and important. My DD is now an outfielder, and she wouldn't have it any other way. She loves it.

That said, I just want to set the record straight, as I see it:

In the younger age divisions, OF is not more fun, it is not just as important, and it is not going to develop a player's overall defensive skills as quickly as playing the infield would. And most kids are smart enough to know that.

That is because the coaches at younger age groups do a terrible job of teaching OF correctly and don't devote enough practice time to it

Jun 24, 2013
I assume this is LL.

At this age in the regular season all the players should be playing multiple positions both IF and OF. All-Stars it is a little bit more restricted. I do not know if they have any control over the coach they play for but they should do a little research and look for a coach that moves players around and lets them try multiple positions. She is way too young to be “stuck in” the OF or any other position.

Oct 24, 2012

You're right. In 10s, the IF gets more balls hit to them.
If the OF has their feet in concrete, they wont learn anything .. If they do their job, they'll learn.

Jun 11, 2013
at 10U (and 12U) the hitters hit a lot of balls through the 3-4 hole. If you are going to play OF and have a strong arm play RF. You can take away so many hits by making the 9-3 out.

Feb 1, 2010
I have yet to figure out why kids who get slotted in OF are bad players? Granted, at the younger levels, not much action in the OF. My DD has been a catcher and OF her entire career. She was recruited as an OF because of her speed and ability. If this girl wants to play infield, then she needs to practice, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with being in the OF!! Your outfield can make or break you as they get older. I'm sure anyone on here can tell you that as the girls get older, the outfield becomes very, very important. Tell these parents to relax and let her have fun. She is 10U. Lots of time to play. But please, don't let these kids or parents who obviously are NOT informed, think that the outfield is the place where less athletic kids go!

Jan 25, 2011
My dd for the most part pitches and played a lot of 1st and 3rd. But with the tb team they put her in the outfield. She came in from the outfield looking puzzled. She asked me where the princess circle was and if she now had to catch the pop ups. Pitchers, you can't make any of them happy;)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I will agree with others who have stated that the importance of the OF increases as the players get older. Most college outfielders and run like deer, take great angles on balls, and will lay out for a ball in the gap. That said I would like to encourage all players, regardless of age or level to work on hitting, because I can promise you that if your DD is knocking the cover off the ball her coach WILL find a place for her to play - or DH!!! I cannot tell you how many times a parent on our TB team has come to our coaching staff asking why their DD is not playing, and 98.2% of the time it is not because of her glove, but because her batting average is below .100!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan