Stuck in the Outfield!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
My daughter used to be the starting CF for her 12U team. She was really good at it and liked it a lot. The only downside to being a starter in the outfield is that the coaches use those positions to substitute in the bench warmers when they need to get some playing time, which means the starters end up sitting on the bench. None of the infielders ever had to sit out. Ever. That's kind of frustrating to watch as a parent.

Mar 21, 2014
My daughter used to be the starting CF for her 12U team. She was really good at it and liked it a lot. The only downside to being a starter in the outfield is that the coaches use those positions to substitute in the bench warmers when they need to get some playing time, which means the starters end up sitting on the bench. None of the infielders ever had to sit out. Ever. That's kind of frustrating to watch as a parent.

Ding ding ding this is truth, and why parents resent OF. I've found coaches speak out of both sides of their mouth on this issue. They say OF is just as important as INF, but their own DD never put there. It is a position almost never worked on in practice and is used as a dumping ground for the worst players on the team.

Nov 15, 2013
The issue with the OF is that in 10u it's boring. In 12u it sees limited action. By 14u they get to make some plays, and see the necessity of it. By 16u, if you can't dive for a fly ball, you won't cut it. The whole rec ball stigma of "the worst/slowest player goes in the OF" sticks in their heads. It gets better, and an inning ending diving catch is something to behold.

DD's team is 10U and outfield is not boring at all. We play competitive teams who can hit the ball hard. Our outfield has been a difference maker for this team and we expect to do very well at Nationals in no small part because of them.

Jun 7, 2013
It's true that it's great to have good outfielders. However, typically the infielders get the most balls and have the most opportunity to make outs. So, as a coach I tend to put my best fielders at infield positions.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Had an incident with a kid playing infield vs outfield that sticks with me to this day:

Taryn was a great little player on our roster in LL Majors many years ago. Extremely fast and agile we put her at SS where she was quite good. Her dad who was rarely at a practice, shows up one day and yells to her - "What are you doing playing SS? Get out in the outfield where the athletes play!" She just smiled at him and looked at us, the coaches. Needless to say we immediately moved her to center field. Her dad was Ken Griffey Junior. Never looked at outfielders quite the same after that day.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I still laugh at those who feel playing in the OF is "beneath them" or somehow a punishment. If you make a mistake in the dirt someone gains a base. If you mess up in the grass someone gets a POINT! While the plays may not happen as often as the infield when it happens it is critical and momentum shifting EVERY TIME.

Jun 9, 2014
After a 12U player (who normally plays outfield) had an excellent tournament filling in at 3rd base, the coach, in the post-tournament meeting, told the team that she was getting "promoted" to the regular 3rd-base position. While I'm certain it was meant as praise for her, it sure did strike a chord with me on how he felt about the outfield positions. What does that say to the other girls who are in the outfield, or even worse, what does that say to the girls who get moved from infield to outfield?

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
After a 12U player (who normally plays outfield) had an excellent tournament filling in at 3rd base, the coach, in the post-tournament meeting, told the team that she was getting "promoted" to the regular 3rd-base position. While I'm certain it was meant as praise for her, it sure did strike a chord with me on how he felt about the outfield positions. What does that say to the other girls who are in the outfield, or even worse, what does that say to the girls who get moved from infield to outfield?

One of DS's 12U coaches used to threaten -- in front of the whole team -- to "stick" his own son in the outfield when his effort seemed less than optimal. Same season, DS committed 2 errors at 2B in one game, and never saw the infield again.

DD has a great arm, and I've told her that she should probably expect to play some outfield in school ball because of it. She may be "stuck" in the outfield for her upcoming 12U AS tournament. I advised her that, "When you play outfield, you get to do this!":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ketDFb5Es4

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd