Stuck in the Outfield!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I will agree with others who have stated that the importance of the OF increases as the players get older. Most college outfielders and run like deer, take great angles on balls, and will lay out for a ball in the gap. That said I would like to encourage all players, regardless of age or level to work on hitting, because I can promise you that if your DD is knocking the cover off the ball her coach WILL find a place for her to play - or DH!!! I cannot tell you how many times a parent on our TB team has come to our coaching staff asking why their DD is not playing, and 98.2% of the time it is not because of her glove, but because her batting average is below .100!!!
We have a kid on DD's team. Plays C,1B,OF. Asked her where she likes to play and she says "Wherever they put me as long as I'm hitting".

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I see soccer and Lacrosse players getting the premium outfield positions at 12U over girls who have been playing softball since 6U.
You want to see a coach do a back-flip? Tell him you're favorite position is center field because you love running, sliding, and diving for balls.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Especially since I'm a little familiar with the caliber of the league in this specific case, if this young player has progressed from being a first-timer to an all-star in less than 1 year, this says a lot about her natural abilities as an athlete. I would not recommend holding her down in 10U for next Fall, but work like crazy from the end of all-stars to the start of Fall Ball to continue her development in ALL areas of the game. NOTHING will help her to progress more than her own determination...and practice.

Mar 28, 2013
Wanna make the team of your choice next tryout season, Work hard at covering lots of green and reading flies , how to charge ground balls then Have your DD walk up to the coach and tell them my goal is to be the best center fielder in the state, anybody can cover 20 feet. bet you make the roster. every year both my DDs coaches would love to have that kid show up at tryouts.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
I will agree with others who have stated that the importance of the OF increases as the players get older. Most college outfielders and run like deer, take great angles on balls, and will lay out for a ball in the gap. That said I would like to encourage all players, regardless of age or level to work on hitting, because I can promise you that if your DD is knocking the cover off the ball her coach WILL find a place for her to play - or DH!!! I cannot tell you how many times a parent on our TB team has come to our coaching staff asking why their DD is not playing, and 98.2% of the time it is not because of her glove, but because her batting average is below .100!!!

I couldn't agree with this more. I'll be the first to say my DD is unathletic, slow, etc... she plays because she CAN hit !

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not sure if this has been asked but is the request from the parent or the kid? Do you know if the kid is happy playing OF?

I know baseball is different but I always loved playing OF, especially CF growing up. While I did get IF time and liked that too, I was always happiest running down FBs or throwing out runners from the OF on defense and after age 12 was pretty much OF full time.

Could be the kid actually likes the OF.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
1st, the players has to work on her own at other positions if she wants to play them. I don't hold the All Star coach responsible, but during the regular season, this girl should have gotten time at different position. At 10u, its too early to tie a kid to a certain position.

Some of the best players I have had the privilege of watching have all been outfielders. They are three of the consensus "best player in the world" candidates of the last 15 years.

I wonder if Laura Berg, Jessica Mendoza and Caitlin Lowe really wish their coaches would give them more time in the infield. ;)

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Sorry for the non reply. I've been out of town in a tournament. She has been playing softball for less then a year and in the outfield the entire time. She just wants a legitimate chance to play and experience playing in the infield. With that said, she just won a game MVP this weekend but it was for her offense, lol. And once again another weekend in center field

Jan 24, 2011
Teach her to embrace being a great center fielder. That would benefit her more as she gets older than anything. I always played catcher because that was my skill set. I never wanted a "legitimate chance" to experience being a pitcher

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd