Strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Throwing a movement pitch. If the ball barely nips the front corner of home plate and doesn’t go over the back edge is it by rule a strike

Jan 28, 2017
If any part of the ball enters the strike zone (the area above home plate) it should be called a strike.

Some curveballs would be caught so far in the other batters box if this was called. I was showing some of my pitching students this and not a single parent thought this was the rule. Making sure I’m correct.

Oct 26, 2019
Some curveballs would be caught so far in the other batters box if this was called. I was showing some of my pitching students this and not a single parent thought this was the rule. Making sure I’m correct.
There is the book definition of the strike zone and then there is the one that is actually called. If a ball ends up far off the plate by the time it is called even if it crossed it is often called a ball.

Jan 22, 2011
1st time I umpired a 12u rec game I was driving the 1B coach crazy. It might have been lucky by the pitcher, but she was catching the front corner of the plate and the catcher was catching it in the left-handed batter's box. I was calling it a strike.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
1st time I umpired a 12u rec game I was driving the 1B coach crazy. It might have been lucky by the pitcher, but she was catching the front corner of the plate and the catcher was catching it in the left-handed batter's box. I was calling it a strike.
I actually go sit down on the ground and show them how the ball can move and be rule book strike. You should see the eyes. Then we go over how to figure out the umpires strike zone and attack it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi