Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
This could be a well-known issue (from baseball) where left-handed hitters really get screwed on low and away pitches being called strikes. It is probably just more noticeable when a slapper is involved, but it's likely happening to lefties who don't slap, too.

Great article! Have been watching this all spring!

I was wondering if eye dominance of the umpire plays a role in this.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD lives in the bottom of the zone with her drop. She's not fast enough to blow a ball by a hitter, so up in the zone usually ends up in the outfield, unless it's way up.

She has been getting lots of low and low out calls this season. I think she has been getting more low out calls because both of our catcher are lefties. They get to that in the river ball with no effort and both are able to easily rotate the glove back to the ump and show the ball to the ump right on the edge of the black.

Dec 11, 2010
I think it is a bit of a shock to the system when umpires post here. Most of the time in the real world, we have to smile and nod our heads at that kind of drivel. Here we don’t.

That being said, the umpires that come here, and actually read what is written, leave here better and are better umpires.

Tips you didn’t ask for:

We want to grow the game. The reason there ISN‘T men’s fastpitch anymore is a lack of pitchers. The game of women’s fastpitch NEEDS PITCHERS to grow. When you frustrate a 12 year old kid with your own imaginary made up strike zone, a strike zone different from the one her pitching coach and the rule book describe, you make it less likely they will continue pitching. You are shrinking the pool. We need them. Knock it off.

The zone is the zone. It isn’t to the belt, it’s to the armpit at the front of the plate.

It doesn’t matter where the hitter stands in the box. The plate doesn’t move. Thanks.

The score of the game does not affect the zone. Knock that baloney off. That team is winning because the pitcher has worked her rear off to throw a ball or a strike when she wants, don’t punish her for the score. Hitters spend 3-4 days a week trading themselves to hit strikes and take balls. Quit messing with that. The zone is the zone.

Punishing a mouthy coach with the strike zone is stupid. The kid throwing the ball can’t make him shut up either. Be a professional, tune the coach out and call balls and strikes for the kid who is out there working her rear off.

Do better.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Yes. I call a strike a strike (that area over any part of the plate, between the top of knees and armpits).

I find coaches (offensive) tend to get most crazy over the high strike (right under the armpit) and outside corner.

And defensive coaches get most crazy over the ball just below the knee they think is a strike. Or pitches that miss inside (with right handed catcher).

Aug 25, 2019
How about we call strikes to the arm pit like it says in the rule book?

Are you really pretending that an umpire is doing the team a favor when a pitcher is able to throw a rise for a strike (a rare talent) and it isn’t being called for our own good?

Sheesh. Thanks.
Yes!...easiest pitch to call, I simply lower my eyesight to the batters armpit, and if the pitch is above my eyesight, ball, at or below (and over plate), strike. It's really that easy.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The score of the game does not affect the zone. Knock that baloney off. That team is winning because the pitcher has worked her rear off to throw a ball or a strike when she wants, don’t punish her for the score. Hitters spend 3-4 days a week trading themselves to hit strikes and take balls. Quit messing with that. The zone is the zone.

Agreed with that whole post, and mostly agree with this, but I've been part of so VERY rough games where the umpire opening the zone to move the game along is welcomed. I've been on the winning and losing side of this, and in both cases, I was fine with it.

I've also felt like I was in the situation you described, where my decent pitcher was punished where the other team's terrible pitchers were rewarded. If you're going to open things up, open it up for both teams. Expanding your zone should be done to move the blowout along, not to help level the playing field.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Heck, I've watched college games recently where the strike zone was about the size of a sheet of paper.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I never talk about my strike zone. "A strike is a strike" and strikes move the game along so every pitch is a strike until it proves otherwise.

Some things:
- They have been emphasizing low strikes in college umpire rooms (they want more called)
- The outside-low pitch is the hardest to see and call. It is at the worst angle from where you set up in the slot and is the most likely pitch to get a blocked view of. It is also the pitch 90% of pitchers most want to be called.
- Good CATCHERS are extremely rare. Most hurt their pitchers by making the umpire's job even harder. Most are terrible receivers. Many catchers set up in the inside river - (i.e. right where the umpire is). Many cathers also move WAY too much and constantly get in the way for no reason. Worse, some like to move during the pitch and right into your eyesight. Many catch strikes in such a way that it looks to everyone else it is a ball... Not helping. And framing is woeful - most frame extremely badly - If you catch and stick 3 balls off the plate or jerk the ball a foot in any direction what is the point? Fooling bad umpires?
- Batters crowding the plate are tough - especially with a catcher set up slightly inside. It is tough to see the pitch release without a large move. We are required to 'work the slot' - this is tough for most umpires to adjust to.
- Slappers make it hard because somehow I am meant to be seeing where their feet are AND making sure it is a strike. Eyes just don't work like that. Also, slappers remove a reference point normal slappers give you (i.e. knee height and where they are setting up relative to the plate)
- There is VERY little training in general for umpires - and even less on calling strikes. Most clinics are more teaching where to stand and mechanics first.
- I work to be consistent - I am happy to say that when I do get an uneven match-up - e.g. a pitcher who CAN and a pitcher who CAN'T - the pitcher who CAN is going to have a GREAT day.

Honestly, I could write 4 or 5 pages on catchers alone.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
How about we call strikes to the arm pit like it says in the rule book?
I will be more than happy to call them by the book, as soon as I don't hear one complaint about "That pitch is high, how can you call that?" when the ball is just under the batter's chin. (Please remember ANY part of the ball needs to catch the strike zone.)

Are you really pretending that an umpire is doing the team a favor when a pitcher is able to throw a rise for a strike (a rare talent) and it isn’t being called for our own good?
No, I am not saying that at all. If a pitcher is hitting her spots she actually gets a bit of leeway. I know you all say you want the zone called exactly as it is written in the book, all the time. And while I agree in theory, I have been calling balls and strikes long enough to have learned that actually what you want is 1) consistency and 2) rewarding the pitchers who have control to hit their spots.

I agree with consistency, not only is it what you want, it is what we strive for. What do I mean by rewarding a pitcher who can hit her spot? If a pitcher has established that she is always right where the catcher is calling for the pitch and the catcher sets up a bit outside, that black on the outside just got a bit thicker, but, at the same time, the inside has shrunk, if she misses inside she wont have any leeway, it has GOT to be a strike, if a pitcher wants to work north and south, same concept.

I am sure I am going to get an earful in this thread, perhaps even from my brothers and sisters in blue, but before bringing out the pitchforks and torches, I ask that you look deep into your hearts and ask yourselves, "Do I really want the strike zone called by the book all times, all circumstances." It would also be interesting to know if you are approaching the question from the viewpoint of the pitcher or the hitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00