Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2016
I have noticed something over the last couple seasons and wanted to see if it was just me. Has the strike zone changed? I am seeing a trend where above the belt has increasingly become a ball. It was quite evident this last weekend at the tourney we were in, so much so that the opposing coaches were surprised during the game(s) and mentioned it to our dugout. This was in a 14U A bracket. Thanks!

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
I would say the plate has got larger also. I have video of every pitch from the last 6 years or so, the outside corner is just about over the line for the batters box now. In addition, the outside strike is called more for slappers than players with a regular swing.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
In my travels, such as they are, I have consistently observed that the most difficult pitch to get a called strike on is a pitch up. Might get a swing and miss, but you don't tend to get borderline calls and it is even pretty tough to get calls where the ball is at the belly. Tend to see more generous on outside corner and down in the zone.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I would say the plate has got larger also. I have video of every pitch from the last 6 years or so, the outside corner is just about over the line for the batters box now. In addition, the outside strike is called more for slappers than players with a regular swing.

This could be a well-known issue (from baseball) where left-handed hitters really get screwed on low and away pitches being called strikes. It is probably just more noticeable when a slapper is involved, but it's likely happening to lefties who don't slap, too.

Aug 25, 2019
In my travels, such as they are, I have consistently observed that the most difficult pitch to get a called strike on is a pitch up. Might get a swing and miss, but you don't tend to get borderline calls and it is even pretty tough to get calls where the ball is at the belly. Tend to see more generous on outside corner and down in the zone.
As an umpire, I find the low pitches the most difficult to call. If I'm not sure, I usually call a ball, maybe because I've seen my DD over the years get strike calls on a ball passing by her socks.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Do you really want the pitches up in the zone called? They tend to have long ball written all over them. So, if I am not going to give you the borderline pitch up, I should give you the close pitch in the river. The other thing on the close calls is, as an umpire, as a pitcher or as a coach, even as a fan, you want strikes called, balls and walks are boring. A pitch is a strike until it MAKES me call it a ball.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Do you really want the pitches up in the zone called? They tend to have long ball written all over them. So, if I am not going to give you the borderline pitch up, I should give you the close pitch in the river. The other thing on the close calls is, as an umpire, as a pitcher or as a coach, even as a fan, you want strikes called, balls and walks are boring. A pitch is a strike until it MAKES me call it a ball.
My DD is an East-West down ball pitcher, so, no, I mostly don’t ever want her coach calling high pitches. However, that hasn’t stopped him with the occasional result that you describe. LOL. Of course, to be fair to the coach, that drop ball doesn’t always drop the way it’s supposed to.

I like your mindset and, truthfully, as long as the zone is consistent we can live with however the ump is calling it in that game. When the zone floats or is not being called consistently for both pitchers, then things can get, um, a bit interesting...

Dec 11, 2010
How about we call strikes to the arm pit like it says in the rule book?

Are you really pretending that an umpire is doing the team a favor when a pitcher is able to throw a rise for a strike (a rare talent) and it isn’t being called for our own good?

Sheesh. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2018
Do you really want the pitches up in the zone called? They tend to have long ball written all over them.
If they are a strike by definition, yes. Also if balls up in the zone are called, you'll have hitters swinging at pitches just up and out of the zone a lot more often. And yes, some of those pitches will get launched, but there will also be a lot of swings and missed too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid