Strike Zone? What did he say?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
HAHAHA. I started a game once, first pitch was right down the middle, ball one. I,m looking at my catcher like "WHAT??" Three more perfect strikes and the batter goes to first.

Now I'm totally stunned. My catcher asks the PU where thopse missed? No answer.

Next batter, same story. Now my catcher, my coach and I were all really pissed. Me walking 2 in a row NEVER happens.

Called my catcher out. Gonna go looking for his strike zone to see if he even has one.

3rd batter. Put one ankle high 3 inches off the outside edge, "STRIKE". I'm looking at my catcher like OMG. My catcher puts his glove way low and outside, ankle high. I hit the target, "STRIKE". Now my catcher and I are laughing but the other team is on their feet screaming cuss words I had never heard before! Struck him and the next two out the same way, other team is frothing at tyhe mouth mad.

We get up to bat, same thing for us, first two wlked, then the pitcher started throwing way low and ouitside for strikes.

The only way anybody was gonna get a hit was MAYBE with a 5 iron.

We go back out and take the field but now both teams are bustin up laughing this blues strike zone is so bad.

Somebody called out the Tourney UIC. He watched one batter called out and stopped the game. This apperently was a guy just out of high school, very first time behind the plate. The UIC replacedf him with an older guy with some experience. UIC explained that and thanked everyone for not getting any more upset than we did.

We then p[layed 6 innings with an acceptable strike.

Thats softball!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Like Sparky said, as long as the umpire is consistent from team to team and batter to batter, you cannot really complain.

Some advice for a pitcher's Dad: Your excitement or anger will only make your DD more tense, while will result in her performance going down. So, you have to let the poor umpiring roll off your back.

Nov 29, 2009
Like Sparky said, as long as the umpire is consistent from team to team and batter to batter, you cannot really complain.

Some advice for a pitcher's Dad: Your excitement or anger will only make your DD more tense, while will result in her performance going down. So, you have to let the poor umpiring roll off your back.

When my DD was in HS and college I would take a lot of pictures during the games to keep me busy. Not only of my DD but of the other girls on the team as well. If I wasn't taking pictures I would be down the fence standing or sitting in my chair quietly. Other parents used to ask me all the time how can I sit there so calm during a tense situation in a game. I would tell them two things. First, I'm not the one out on the field playing. Second, if my DD sees me all tense walking the sidelines she will not relax and do her job.

The mom of one my students has a type A personality. During a lesson I was talking to the girl about the mental side of position and things to use in the circle to calm herself when needed. With mom standing there I asked the girl what did her mom do during tense situations in a game. The short version, mom was a wreck. I asked the girl in front of the mom how it made her feel. She said nervous. The mom had absolutely no clue her actions were effecting her DD in the circle. Several weeks after I asked the girl how her mom was during the games. She said she is 100 times better. Most times she doesn't know where she was at and it allowed her to focus on the task in front of her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

I try to remain calm while DD is pitching, even if that means a IV drip from the local EMS.

If we lose, its a long night for me once we get home...........
tumblr_inline_mghn6jVIQB1rwcy4q.gif

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD doesn't really care where the zone is, as long as it is the same for both pitchers.

A parent can question Blue's zone as much as they want but I will guarantee that it won't help, if anything it will make it worse for your pitcher. If a parent is out of control, Blue can tell coach to control the fans. If that doesn't work the coach can be removed from the game. I've never seen this happen.

A coach or catcher can ask where a pitch missed but be very careful, the coach can be removed from the game for doing it. I've seen this happen a couple of times.