Strike zone... It isn’t just the youth leagues!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2013
With the camera view over the pitcher's shoulder, I'm sometimes deceived by where the ball is caught rather than where it crosses the plate. Balls caught low can catch the bottom of the zone and I suppose it's possible that some balls caught near the top of the zone were too high when they crossed the plate.

Nov 19, 2014
Most girls at the higher level move up in the box to get the ball before it breaks. This drastically changes the perceived strike zone where the catcher actually receives the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
1618256407436.png
Also the definition: "The strike zone for fast-pitch is the space over any part of home plate which is between the batter's forward armpit and the top of the knees when the batter assumes a natural batting stance. Any part of the ball passing through the strike zone in flight over the plate shall be considered a strike" causes issue.
It doesnt say in "her" natural batting stance, so that leaves the umpire with the discretion to estimate where the high strike would be if she was in a "standard" batting stance. (If you just wanted to argue)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It doesnt say in "her" natural batting stance, so that leaves the umpire with the discretion to estimate where the high strike would be if she was in a "standard" batting stance. (If you just wanted to argue)

So you can call a pitch over the head of a 4'8" player a strike because in the natural batting stance of a 5'11" player it's actually in the zone?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
when the batter assumes a natural batting stance

Not at all JD, the definition clearly refers to the current batter. What it precludes is an exaggerated crouch to try to shrink the zone.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
So you can call a pitch over the head of a 4'8" player a strike because in the natural batting stance of a 5'11" player it's actually in the zone?

Definitely not, but if a 4'8" batter squats into a 3'6" stance.... basically saying you cant duck the strikezone

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
when the batter assumes a natural batting stance

Not at all JD, the definition clearly refers to the current batter. What it precludes is an exaggerated crouch to try to shrink the zone.

Oh, I know. But the post I was replying to was acting like a "natural stance" could be whatever the umpire decides, and while it's of course subjective to some extent, I was just pointing out that it's not that subjective.

Dec 11, 2010
Most girls at the higher level move up in the box to get the ball before it breaks. This drastically changes the perceived strike zone where the catcher actually receives the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

DFP attracts a wide variety of ages and skill levels. Everything from rec to the highest levels. From kids with pink bats to players that can order a beer with their pizza after they play on ESPN.

What some consider high level, well, others left that behind long ago. DD’s quit playing for coaches yelling about moving up in the box at 12u.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06