Strike zone... It isn’t just the youth leagues!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Since this conversation is about strike zone.

We have ran into umps that told us because the catcher hands moves outside the strike zone when she catches they can't call it a strike.

If they saw it cross the plate why would it matter where the catcher glove ended up? I get it if you were unsure.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Since this conversation is about strike zone.

We have ran into umps that told us because the catcher hands moves outside the strike zone when she catches they can't call it a strike.

If they saw it cross the plate why would it matter where the catcher glove ended up? I get it if you were unsure.
:) umpires, at times, say peculiarly odd things...especially when explaining their own inconsistencies to the area called the strikezone.

Jul 14, 2018
As a pitcher, DD spends the first inning moving the ball around, trying to establish for herself where the umpire’s strike zone is. The simple fact is that they’re all different, and the sooner that the pitcher and catcher can figure out where they will get a strike call, the better equipped they are to attack the strike zone.

DD’s last start, the HPU had a super-low zone, nothing above the belt. It’s okay if consistent, but it makes the pitchers job much harder if you cut the zone in half. One of the most effective tools a pitcher has is changing the eye level of the batter. If the umpire is taking away that ability, it has an impact on the pitcher’s effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2019
Wow! All the way up to the letters! Wait, the strike zone is to the armpit isn't it? And any part of the ball,,,, Hrrmm, sounds like that is nearly eye level. You know, that pitch that MikeP wants his DD to stop swinging at. The strike zone is truly a mysterious thing, one that people say they want until they get it....

We had an ump at a 10u game a few years ago that had big strike zone at times and at other times not quite so big, bigger with 2 srikes and bigger if a pitcher made a good pitch or two. I was sitting down the 3rd base line and she got called out on a strike 3 where I from down the line could see half the ball over her head. She wasnst very happy lol, but thats how it goes some days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet