Stretching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Any ideas, thoughts on stretching routines after games or the next day? I'm wondering if a good stretching routine after pitching 7 innings would be beneficial?

Oct 16, 2014
we use J bands for warm up, have't tried them for stretching after....
My DD is one of those kids who is really tight in her neck and shoulders. I think sitting at school all day and then hunched over a smart phone all the time is such a posture killer. The she gets up and goes out and pitches, and her neck and shoulders are used to being "at rest" most of the time so it's really easy for secondly muscle groups to start trying to help compensate when she does her motion.
DD sees a chiropractor/sports med Dr once a month for Active Release Technique (ART) to relieve tension in her neck and shoulders. Surprisingly (or maybe not a surprise), her glove side is much tighter in the neck and shoulder than her pitching arm side. We are trying to prevent any imbalances as well as keep her tension free and loose and keep good posture. Her Dr is really good, he gets all the tightness out, she literally has tears in her eyes while he's doing it but she feels like a million bucks after.
as far as stretching after game day we do a few:

1. DD lies back on a yoga ball and takes a wood stick (dowel from Home depot, broomstick size). She holds it in both hands over her head and tries to reach until her hands touch the floor for about 60 seconds. she says she can feel everything release and it's "relaxing".
2."corner stretch". Face a corner in a room, make 2 90 degree bends in your arms and put your forearms on the walls and lean in. you should feel a stretch in the chest and front of shoulders
3. we also do a bunch of forearm stretches because she had a bout with elbow tendonitis last year (mostly from overhand throwing but pitching exacerbated it). you can google forearm stretches for golfers elbow if you are interested in keeping the whole arm loose

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez