Stretch & Fire Success!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
OK, Chris - this guy is your model hitter. Any idea why his back leg moves like it does? Why even though it straightens it is IRing the whole time? Why didn't you just teach this to Torres?

PujolsIR.gif

Would you guys like to see more stretch/separation than Puljos shows here? I know he gets the job done but his hands don't seem to go behind his armpit but just an inch or two even if I rotate my view to the left where I would be looking at him from straight out in front of his chest.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Would you guys like to see more stretch/separation than Puljos shows here? I know he gets the job done but his hands don't seem to go behind his armpit but just an inch or two even if I rotate my view to the left where I would be looking at him from straight out in front of his chest.

Not trying to advertise, but there is a free blog entry on HI, that even uses Albert. It is on this exact subject and IMO is really good info.
The title is "do you stretch a rope or a rubber band."

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

I would mention that I think as much of any deficit you might see in hand action would not truly be a deficit but, instead, an attempt to adjust to the pitch. Keep in mind that these athletes have the ability to recognize early and adjust quickly/early. JMHO!

R

RayR

I would not base any instruction off of how much separation a hitter gets....but I don't think his hands are at his chest I have other views that show his hands at this arm pit and even a little behind...

PujolsIR.gif

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Here is a simple question aimed at the crowd in general: What if obsessing over Pujols as the only model to emulate for the past X years was not a good idea?

R

RayR

Mr T - the issue almost always comes down to position based or movement based instruction....trying to match Pujols's positions has led some off into the weeds....

I cannot swing like Pujols by any stretch (pun intended), but if you can strip away the positions and understand the movements there is a ton of value in studying his swing....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is a simple question aimed at the crowd in general: What if obsessing over Pujols as the only model to emulate for the past X years was not a good idea?

Fair question. However, the goal isn't a "Pujols swing." Instead is is the qualities/mechanics that enable the top athletes to shine above all others in the realm of hitting. In that regard, and for lack of a better analogy, the chicken salad ... analogy applies. The trick I and others disagree on is the "how" but not the end result. I hope that makes sense.

Mar 12, 2009
I would not base any instruction off of how much separation a hitter gets....but I don't think his hands are at his chest I have other views that show his hands at this arm pit and even a little behind...

PujolsIR.gif

I said his hands don't seem to go behind his armpit but just an inch or two. The chest part was about changing the view angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole