Streaming hardware

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks Josh. I appreciate the insight and understand you have a vested interest. Valid point on something going through the fence and the potential for contact. In your experience, what's the optimal height for camera mounting? Obviously at a 6'-ish height you would need to move to the side to avoid the umpire if strike zone is to be captured. Being slightly above (8-10'?) would still give the side to side zone but cut down on the height of the ball a bit.

For me, I'm generally mounting head high. I manually stop and start the recording between each half inning. For a GoPro, it will chapter (break up) at a specific time/size. Since that it an immovable object, I'd rather be in control. Stopping between each half inning makes it easier to find specific events. IE, if you know something happened in the bottom of the 3rd inning, you go to the 6th file. Then before uploading, I run it through MP4Joiner and Handbrake; both free apps. MP4Joiner renders to a single file. Handbrake makes the file size more manageable. It is important to note, however, that the work the Handbrake performs just makes it longer for most cloud sources (YouTube, FaceBook, etc.) to process the video. However, with out janky internet, it is still is faster in the end. If you have really good internet, I wouldn't run the Handbrake process.

As far as streaming goes, FaceBook using a Smartphone seems to be the easiest and most popular. YouTube requires 1000+ subscribers natively (RTMP is possible but has a learning curve). As for overlays the following are ones we are aware of, but I won't comment on the pro's and con's of each:
SideLineHD
GameChanger Team Manager
AtheletesGoLive

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I use GameChanger Team Manager to livestream. Super easy to get to he parents and fans, they get notified when a game starts. Its in high-def, it shows the score and outs on the screen (pulls automatically from the person doing gamechanger). The games are saved now for those with Staff access, and coming soon will be for everyone. I use an iphone to live stream.

Oct 4, 2018
Cell phone and Facebook Live Stream. It's so simple, so inexpensive, so accessible.

And most of you probably know, but our fans like us to be off to the side. Directly behind the catcher and you get to watch the umpire's butt all game. Move over and you improve the view and watchability of the game. You actually get to see the plate!

And higher isn't better. It's quite weird to view a game looking downward on home plate.

1617213096450.png

Feb 7, 2016
I carry a small 18" stool that I use to get about 6-7 feet high to mount my camera. I like the off-center view. Once I'm done with the stool it turns into a small table top for me to place my iPad on to score the game. I was lucky and fortunate to be included in the SidelineHD beta program.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.16.19 PM.png

Oct 4, 2018
I carry a small 18" stool that I use to get about 6-7 feet high to mount my camera. I like the off-center view. Once I'm done with the stool it turns into a small table top for me to place my iPad on to score the game. I was lucky and fortunate to be included in the SidelineHD beta program.
View attachment 21541

Yeah, I'm 6'4" and I mount it above my head. So about 6 and a half feet up is my sweet spot too. And our images look just about the same. :)

I do like your overlay. I simply do pretty active play-by-play whispering to give the fans the info.

Sep 19, 2020
Lake Worth, FL
We use GC Team Manager as well. They have been super quick to ramp up features, and it's completely free for everyone to view the live streams (although saved videos will require a subscription for the parents to go back and look at). Scoring and streaming all done from same app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.42.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.42.04 PM.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 33
Mar 30, 2021
I like the idea of GC TM but have found that just the watching the live scorekeeping seems klunky. And you can't use a device besides a cell phone (Found a Mevo Plus). Using a Mevo appears to limit options a bit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles