Strangest ending to a game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
If you had the pitcher start the pitch and then just fail to throw it (illegal pitch) for ball 4 is the play dead when the batter/runner reaches 1B?

Well ... no.

An illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball, meaning it isn’t dead until the play concludes.

Intentionally dropping, rolling, etc. is an illegal pitch.

Failing to deliver ... technically an illegal pitch. Even if you called it a no-pitch for some reason, it is nothing.

Now that I “type through that” ... if the pitcher threw an illegal pitch for a strike (caught, of course), then you would kill play and award first base and the runner couldn’t go anywhere.

Apr 20, 2018
La Crosse, WI
Pitch it overhand
Had that this past summer. We had runners on 2 and 3 with one out, best hitter coming up in a tie game. Opposing coach wanted to intentionally walk but we were playing ASA for the weekend. He had his pitcher throw overhand, illegally, which scored the winning run. He proceeded to lay into the ump for not explaining the rule to him.

Jun 4, 2014
Had that this past summer. We had runners on 2 and 3 with one out, best hitter coming up in a tie game. Opposing coach wanted to intentionally walk but we were playing ASA for the weekend. He had his pitcher throw overhand, illegally, which scored the winning run. He proceeded to lay into the ump for not explaining the rule to him.

That's fantastic! That's a little comeuppance for you.

Oct 6, 2015
Wouldn't it have been over if they threw the ball to the pitcher?

That was my thought too. I would think once the pitcher has the ball in the circle the runner would have to retreat or advance or get called on a Look Back.

So, let’s say she rounds first on the walk to advance and she stops...that’s an out. Advancing to 2nd on a walk has to be continuous as long as no threat of throw or actual throw takes place.

Now, if she makes it to 2nd and rounds and the pitcher has the ball, she would have to advance or go back. If the pitcher simply walks toward her and makes the runner stop...the runner should be out breakiby the look back rule. However, if the pitcher makes a throwing gesture toward the runner, the runner is then free to bounce back and forth.

This also only works when the umpires know the rules for look back and apply them...which they all absolutely do not know! My daughter is a pitcher and absolutely knows the rule and tries to get girls all the time...Blue RARELY calls it. lol

Sep 18, 2019
We had the bases loaded with two outs and down by one. Top hitter on the team at the plate. As the pitcher releases the ball, a girl who had retrieved a foul ball dropped it in to the PVC pipe on the fence that the umps use to collect foul balls. As the pitch reaches the catchers mit, the ball slips out of the PVC and rolls on to the field behind the catcher.

Our third base coach and runner thought it was a passed ball, and he told her to go. She got caught in a pickle and got tagged out. Both said that because of the timing it looked like the ball passed through the catchers legs (it was also a low pitch, go figure) and bounced off the backstop. We argued with the ump because two balls were in play, and he should have stopped play. He said he didn't see it and couldn't reverse the call. We lost!

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?!

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
We had the bases loaded with two outs and down by one. Top hitter on the team at the plate. As the pitcher releases the ball, a girl who had retrieved a foul ball dropped it in to the PVC pipe on the fence that the umps use to collect foul balls. As the pitch reaches the catchers mit, the ball slips out of the PVC and rolls on to the field behind the catcher.

Our third base coach and runner thought it was a passed ball, and he told her to go. She got caught in a pickle and got tagged out. Both said that because of the timing it looked like the ball passed through the catchers legs (it was also a low pitch, go figure) and bounced off the backstop. We argued with the ump because two balls were in play, and he should have stopped play. He said he didn't see it and couldn't reverse the call. We lost!

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?!
Sorry, but your team got screwed. Just because the plate umpire didn't see the ball roll out of the PVC holder at the time, that doesn't mean it never happened. A ball lying on the ground behind him was enough reason to retroactively fix this.

Apr 17, 2019
I've been debating if I wanted to tell this story, cause it sounds like I'm complaining about the umpiring... and I am, I guess, lol.... but I don't want that to be the takeaway.
Our organization hosts teams from all around the area to play Fall Ball. (We're unaffiliated with national orgs.) 10u, 12u, and 14u divisions. It's playoffs, double elimination. There are 8 games going on simultaneously and we're really tight on umpires. We have a coach in the org that umps occasionally, I'm not sure what training he's had or if he's certified, etc. I like this guy, but he's really green as a blue. The org head puts him on our field because reasons (it's 10u, it's me coaching and I know the situation and am pretty chill. In other words, there's the least likelihood of drama). We're in what amounts to quarter finals in our division, lose and go home situation for both our teams.
The game comes down to the last inning (60 minutes, finish the inning). Tied 9-9. We're the home team, away team scores 3 at the top of the inning, so it's 12-9 now. We're up, it's the middle of the lineup (there's 12 girls in the lineup), but I'm feeling pretty good because I always plant a slugger toward the bottom, if we can just get a couple of walks, we've got a good shot at this. Fast forward - runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. I'm coaching 3rd. Slugger's the tying run, coming to bat, I'm warming up my wave 'em around arm. Slugger does her job, bangs one over the short stop's head, I'm in that holding pattern, Left Center is going hard, ball's dropping, she goes for the stumbling catch.... and here's what I see - I see the ball hit the ground just before she scoops it, like it hits the ground an inch in front of her glove. So I start waving R1 home. Then I hear 1st base coach calling R2 back to first. So I'm looking around confused, call R1 back to 3rd. Ump's just standing there, up the 1st base line, about 5ft away from the 1st base coach. Coach at 1 is frantically calling R2 back, so I start shouting back back, eventually convey to R2 to get back to 1st. In the meantime, defense manages to get the ball over to 1st, 1st base steps on the bag. Runner gets back like 5 seconds after she's got the ball. We're all kindof standing around like "what's going on?" for a couple seconds. Blue calls "Runner is out". I start into "the ball dropped!" He says clean catch. I'm like whatever, line up, girls.
Not that we would have won, and I won't even complain about him not seeing the ball drop (it could even be possible I saw it wrong. 😵), but If he'd just called the batter out loud enough for me to hear at 3rd, we'd've probably had 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd still. 😬🤐😑
Moral of the story: Umpires, project!

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I've been debating if I wanted to tell this story, cause it sounds like I'm complaining about the umpiring... and I am, I guess, lol.... but I don't want that to be the takeaway.
Our organization hosts teams from all around the area to play Fall Ball. (We're unaffiliated with national orgs.) 10u, 12u, and 14u divisions. It's playoffs, double elimination. There are 8 games going on simultaneously and we're really tight on umpires. We have a coach in the org that umps occasionally, I'm not sure what training he's had or if he's certified, etc. I like this guy, but he's really green as a blue. The org head puts him on our field because reasons (it's 10u, it's me coaching and I know the situation and am pretty chill. In other words, there's the least likelihood of drama). We're in what amounts to quarter finals in our division, lose and go home situation for both our teams.
The game comes down to the last inning (60 minutes, finish the inning). Tied 9-9. We're the home team, away team scores 3 at the top of the inning, so it's 12-9 now. We're up, it's the middle of the lineup (there's 12 girls in the lineup), but I'm feeling pretty good because I always plant a slugger toward the bottom, if we can just get a couple of walks, we've got a good shot at this. Fast forward - runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. I'm coaching 3rd. Slugger's the tying run, coming to bat, I'm warming up my wave 'em around arm. Slugger does her job, bangs one over the short stop's head, I'm in that holding pattern, Left Center is going hard, ball's dropping, she goes for the stumbling catch.... and here's what I see - I see the ball hit the ground just before she scoops it, like it hits the ground an inch in front of her glove. So I start waving R1 home. Then I hear 1st base coach calling R2 back to first. So I'm looking around confused, call R1 back to 3rd. Ump's just standing there, up the 1st base line, about 5ft away from the 1st base coach. Coach at 1 is frantically calling R2 back, so I start shouting back back, eventually convey to R2 to get back to 1st. In the meantime, defense manages to get the ball over to 1st, 1st base steps on the bag. Runner gets back like 5 seconds after she's got the ball. We're all kindof standing around like "what's going on?" for a couple seconds. Blue calls "Runner is out". I start into "the ball dropped!" He says clean catch. I'm like whatever, line up, girls.
Not that we would have won, and I won't even complain about him not seeing the ball drop (it could even be possible I saw it wrong. ), but If he'd just called the batter out loud enough for me to hear at 3rd, we'd've probably had 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd still.
Moral of the story: Umpires, project!

I’m confused why your umpire was up the first base line about 5 feet from your first base coach. I assume he was the base umpire and not the plate umpire. If so, he should have been on the left side of the field between second base and the shortstop. And he had no business making the catch/no catch call; that belongs to the plate umpire.

If he was the plate umpire, he should’ve been heading halfway toward third to make the catch/no catch and then watch base runners touching third and home. No way he should’ve gone to first base!

Again, really confused by this. Was he the base or plate umpire? Was he by himself? Sounds like you had a hot mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles