strange play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
One of the things that I heard a college coach (former umpire) discuss regarding rules and how to use them to win, was this very situation. He was going through this rule for the catchers and said that the "Batter has the right to the batters box" and that they had to step clear to ensure a good throw. But then he challenged them to think through the fact that slappers more often than not are out of that batters box when throws need to be made to second in the case of the steal. And that when that situation arose their easiest throw for an out, was the back of the slapper and not to second base because in that case the batter did interfere because she has "no right" to be out of the batters box and in the field of play.

That's fine, but if I think the catcher is intentionally playing "dodge softball," we're going to have her ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. Probably followed by the coach who will more than likely try to "discuss" the point.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's always been my understanding that the batter was out when obstructing the catcher, period. In the box or out of the box, regardless. Not that in, or out of the box, was the "proper" place to be. The rules being specifying that batter could be called out, in either place. We've always taught our girls to know if there was, or going to be a play at the plate. If there potentially was, then they were to look back at the catcher, and move out of their way, wherever that was. Is this not correct???

Sort of correct, sort of incorrect (which I guess makes it incorrect! :rolleyes:)

Batters (and other offensive teammates) can only interfere with defensive players. Obstruction is a rule violation by the defense.

Remember that we're discussing two different types of plays, which are covered by different rules and standards. A batter could be called out for interference when being either in or out of the batter's box on either type of play.

When the catcher makes a play to a base immediately following a pitch (a steal or pick-off at first, second or third) the rules recognize that the batter is precisely where the rules require her to be when receiving a pitch- in the batter's box. So, on these plays, the batter's box does offer some degree of protection for the batter against an interference call.

If the batter remains relatively stationary in her legal batting position, and the catcher's throw hits her or the catcher bumps into her, that should not be called as interference. The batter isn't expected to immediately vanish as the pitch is caught. The catcher is required to make her own throwing lane to the base, by stepping behind, in front of or around the legally positioned batter.

But the batter's box isn't an absolute sanctuary on these plays! A batter can still be within the confines of the box, yet still be guilty of interference. For example, after the catcher receives the pitch and steps, say, behind the batter to throw to third, suppose the batter steps backwards, right into the catcher or her throw, while remaining within the batter's box. That is interfernce! Even when being inside the box, if the batter makes some additional movement not associated with the normal action of receiving a pitch and interfers, she is out.

On these same types of plays, once the batter steps out of the batter's box, any protection afforded by being in it is gone. Once out of the box, any interference with the catcher or her throw is illegal.

On a play where a runner is advancing to home plate, things change. On such plays a batter is required to vacate any area the defense needs to make the play. She could move out of the box and still be in the way and interfere. It's possible that she could stay within the box and not be in the way, too. On these plays, being in or out of the box is irrelevent. The standard is "did the batter vacate the needed area" and "did she interfere with the defense's ability to make the play"- regardless of where the batter is standing.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
One of our teams had a similar play, however the batter's momentum took her out of the box on her swing and she stepped on the plate. They called her for interference, but then called out the lead runner instead of the batter.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
One of our teams had a similar play, however the batter's momentum took her out of the box on her swing and she stepped on the plate. They called her for interference, but then called out the lead runner instead of the batter.

Did it happen to be her 3rd strike? If so, she is already out, and by rule interference by an already retired batter/runner is penalized by calling out the runner closest to home.

Jul 28, 2008
Did it happen to be her 3rd strike? If so, she is already out, and by rule interference by an already retired batter/runner is penalized by calling out the runner closest to home.

No, it didn't. She completed her at bat after the call.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Some softball rule sets call the runner out when the batter interferes with a play at the plate and there are less than two outs. That's also a pretty standard baseball rule.

Maybe they were mixing that in with a play at the bases? :confused:

Sep 3, 2009
Please see the rules already correctly posted by SoCalDad. If there is a play at the plate, the batter MUST vacate. Any other time, unless the batter INTENTIONALLY interferes, they are NOT OUT if they remain in the box.

Correct... sorry, thought I said that, but that's what I meant. We had always taught our dd to be aware of a runner on third, and any play at the plate, keeping an eye on the catcher to get out of her way. She's a catcher herself, so knows what they have to deal with.

Oct 28, 2009
I was watching a local high scholl playoff game and saw something I had never seen before. Runner on 2nd, right handed batter at bat, runner is stealing on pitch, batter takes pitch for a ball, catcher pops up and fires ball to third, ball bounces off batters helmet and over the third base side dugout out of play. Batters feet never moved, she was standing in box, after some discussion blue awarded base runner homeplate and batter resumed her at bat. I guess that was the right call but it sure looked strange!!!

Sounds like it was the same as:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2011
I'm wondering if Rule 7 Section 6 Article Q or Supplemental Rule 33 would be applied to a batter that waves the bat in front of the catcher while in a bunting position before the pitcher pitches the ball. It is clearly the intention of the batter to "hinder or confuse a defensive player" so I would assume at the very least the supplemental rule would apply. Has anyone challenged this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole