Stories about the worst umpire calls. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
HC before our game was tossed, apparently it has happened a couple times with same umpire. Not happy.

DD pitches, basically he told me we should go home and save us both the frustration he was not going to call a strike.

We are the visiting team, 1st pitch was chin high. Strike 1.

Umpire had a huge strike zone, same for both our teams.

(We play them for the 1st time Friday at our park. :))

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
A coach pulled his pitcher when she got to a 2-0 count on a batter. New pitcher came in and threw two balls. Batter went to first, umpire called her back because it's only a 2-0 count. When Coach asked for an explanation, umpire told him that when you bring in a new pitcher you start with a fresh count.

Long argument, but Coach prevailed.

Dec 1, 2015
Southern IL
Last weekend, batter bunts, pops up maybe 6 ft in the air a couple of feet in front of home plate. Infield fly rule. Catcher was still in receiving position, pitcher was jogging in no where near the ball....

Nov 16, 2015
Pitch comes in shoulder height, clearly high. Batter starts her hands but doesnt come close to swinging. Umpire points at the bat and calls strike on the swing. Umpire then asks the batter if she swung and she said no. So he changed his call to a ball. then proceeds to yell play ball and refused to take his mask off and explain it. He just kept pointing at our pitcher and would say play ball. Funny thing is the pitcher was on the mound and ready to go, it was the batter who was out of the box.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Last weekend, batter bunts, pops up maybe 6 ft in the air a couple of feet in front of home plate. Infield fly rule. Catcher was still in receiving position, pitcher was jogging in no where near the ball....

About a month ago; runners on 1 and 2 (maybe 1,2,3; can't recall for sure); batter hits a soft liner up the middle; lands just behind second base (never got 15 feet off the ground I'm sure); ump calls infield fly. Neither 4 nor 6 could have gotten to that ball if their life depended on it. So now we joke about the "infield line drive" rule.

Jun 22, 2008

The biggest problem here is a bunted ball can NEVER be an infield fly. As for the rest of it, nothing says any fielder actually has to try and field the ball, it simply has to be catchable with normal effort by an infielder.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
A couple years ago i was coaching a little league game:

With one out in the top 3rd, tie game, the umpire stands up waves his arms and calls the game. It wasnt dark. There were no prior arguments, he just called the game. Both benches and the stands were loudly saying "WHAT??" Head out to talk to the blue and politely tell him he cant call the game its the middle of the 3rd inning! He apologized. He said he was confused, something about his medication. I gave him a little pep talk and the game resumed.

That was the worst call I have ever seen.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The biggest problem here is a bunted ball can NEVER be an infield fly. As for the rest of it, nothing says any fielder actually has to try and field the ball, it simply has to be catchable with normal effort by an infielder.

I'm not sure a ball that's swung at and hit no more than 6 feet off the ground should be considered infield fly either, though I admit that falls squarely into a judgment call that one would have to be there to see. Still, seems unlikely.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Maybe you should know the rules before you start mouthing off."

Last weekend in an NSA tournament, PU (appropriate acronym) calls an IP. HC questions what was Illegal about it. ump said that (based on her follow thru/finish) she was releasing the ball above her hip, which is against NSA rules. HC explained that if she had been releasing above her hip, the pitch would've been over the batters head. "Read the rules. the way she pitched is not allowed in NSA".

I spoke with another ump in the parking lot later and he had no idea what the guy was talking about, why he was calling an IP without any coach bringing it to his attention first, and why was the PU calling IPs (as opposed to the BU)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00