STOP the shaming...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2017
I'm not as concerned about the stamp as I am that masks do next to nothing to prevent concussions. They'll protect the face, but they don't do anything to stop the head from getting snapped back and that's where the concussion occurs.

This isn't applicable one way or the other, just thought it was funny since you mentioned getting hit in back of head. DD has never been hit in the face, but has been hit in the back of the head during a throw down.

They may not prevent concussions, but they prevent the need for reconstructive surgery. I’ll take that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is a senior in HS, won't be playing HS ball or tournaments this summer due to surgeries. At her last indoor practice about a month ago or so, she didn't wear her mask for infield practice. When asked about it, she said she hadn't fielded in a long time and thought the mask would interfere with her vision. I realized I am ok if she decides not to wear the mask when playing IF, as long as she plays as well without it. Her reasoning is better than the other HS pitcher who stopped wearing the mask last year because you couldn't see her face when her picture was in the paper. Whether or not she wears it in the IF, DD will continue to wear the mask when pitching.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Last weekend, I was watching Texas vs. Kansas and a pitch actually went through the batter's mask and broke her nose. It was literally stuck in the space between the top of the helmet and the mask going over the batter's mouth. I've tried to find video footage of it, but can't remember the batter's name and can't find it online. Maybe someone else knows who it is. I was shocked to see that. Masks aren't invincible, but I wouldn't want to take a 60+ mph pitch to the face without one!

Nov 18, 2013
They may not prevent concussions, but they prevent the need for reconstructive surgery. I’ll take that.

I agree. Masks help prevent injuries, no doubt about it and there’s plenty of good reasons to wear one. My only beef is that many of the emotional arguments to mandate them are totally baseless.

Feb 6, 2017
I agree. Masks help prevent injuries, no doubt about it and there’s plenty of good reasons to wear one. My only beef is that many of the emotional arguments to mandate them are totally baseless.

I don’t know what more of an emotional argument we need to mandate them beyond they will help prevent your face from being crushed in. To me, they should be mandated for pitchers and it’s no different than mandating that batting helmets have face guards.

Nov 18, 2013
I don’t know what more of an emotional argument we need to mandate them beyond they will help prevent your face from being crushed in. To me, they should be mandated for pitchers and it’s no different than mandating that batting helmets have face guards.

That’s what I’m talking about. The idea that a pitcher will get her face crushed in without a mask is based purely on emotion. The only “proof” we have are some pictures of girls who were hurt. These are horrific and nobody wants to see a person go through that. Does the rate and average severity of this warrant a mandate though? For some people the answer is yes. I believe a mandate should have data and be based on fact. I want safer masks and studies to determine how safe they are and which age groups need them before a mandate. I’m not against masks and I’m all for encouraging families to make their kids wear them.

What I’m opposed to is mandating them to take the place of parenting. If somebody firmly believes masks make the game safer and wants them mandated I might disagree, but I totally respect that. I’m just tired of the wild conclusions and near accusations of abuse if you don’t make your kid wear one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That’s what I’m talking about. The idea that a pitcher will get her face crushed in without a mask is based purely on emotion. The only “proof” we have are some pictures of girls who were hurt. These are horrific and nobody wants to see a person go through that. Does the rate and average severity of this warrant a mandate though? For some people the answer is yes. I believe a mandate should have data and be based on fact. I want safer masks and studies to determine how safe they are and which age groups need them before a mandate. I’m not against masks and I’m all for encouraging families to make their kids wear them.

What I’m opposed to is mandating them to take the place of parenting. If somebody firmly believes masks make the game safer and wants them mandated I might disagree, but I totally respect that. I’m just tired of the wild conclusions and near accusations of abuse if you don’t make your kid wear one.

Why do people obsess over a mandate? Very simple - If I make my kid wear one and she thinks it looks stupid, then by god every kid needs to wear one so feelings will not get bruised. And that way I am not the villain and I get to stay besties with my kid!

Nov 18, 2013
The rationale behind a mandate is much more complicated.

Why are helmets mandated in football? For safety.

Difference is you WILL get hurt in football if you don’t wear a helmet. Chances are slim to none that a pitcher will get hurt. For some any chance of injury is reason enough for masks and I respect that. Just don’t force it on everyone else.

Interesting you mention football because many believe the game was safer before helmets. I don’t agree, but I do understand the rationale. They think helmets provide a false sense of security and players are more willing to put themselves at risk. Could the same be possible in softball? I doubt it, but I think it would be worth looking into. Not using this as an argument against masks. I just think a study would be interesting to see if girls moved up closer and put themselves at greater risk with a mask on. I’d still want them in masks. Just not playing in closer than they can protect themselves.

I like the crash-test dummy idea. I forget the names of the two that used to be in the commercials. That would be fun to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes