steel cleats and safety

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Now that ASA will allow steel cleats and some girls have never worn them before, remember to work on proper sliding. They do bite in more and could cause injuries, to both the girl wearing them and the defensive player. I would like to see if any of you could post videos or thoughts on the correct ways of sliding. I know it might sound a little bit over protective of me. But it couldn't hurt to share with each other about this subject.

Thank you,
nanotech14

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Now that ASA will allow steel cleats and some girls have never worn them before, remember to work on proper sliding. They do bite in more and could cause injuries, to both the girl wearing them and the defensive player. I would like to see if any of you could post videos or thoughts on the correct ways of sliding. I know it might sound a little bit over protective of me. But it couldn't hurt to share with each other about this subject.

Thank you,
nanotech14

I found that steel cleats and running shoes are bad mix. Had a girl step on the toes of my shoe and cut a slit into the cloth. Shoulda known better... Full leather from now on!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have heard that they don't get hung up as much as you'd think, slicing threw the dirt.

The kid couldn't get out of the store without cleating herself last spring so I opted for a very aggressive UA plastic cleat. We'll probably revisit them again in the spring since ASA and Pony both allow them at 14U now.

Aug 7, 2012
pop-up sliding, when you look at RHC video, The tag is not on but the runner actually looses contact with the bag. Consider this when teaching.

Dec 11, 2010
Nano you are right on the money being concerned about this. I had no idea how much different it would be for dd and we still have not completely dealt with it.

Keep the info coming!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying