Stealing Home Batter Obsturction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2011
In the situation where there is a passed ball and the runner on third attempts to steal home, does the batter have to get out of the batter's box? Is there such a thing as offensive obstruction? What happens of the batter clears the box but inadvertently gets in the way of the catcher fielding the ball?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In the situation where there is a passed ball and the runner on third attempts to steal home, does the batter have to get out of the batter's box? Is there such a thing as offensive obstruction? What happens of the batter clears the box but inadvertently gets in the way of the catcher fielding the ball?

No, the offense does not OBS, the offense interferes.

The batter is required to avoid interfering with the play. Doesn't make any difference where they are standing at the time or intent.

Mar 13, 2010
From the rules we play, if the batter is in the box and a fielder hits them it's not interference. The box is theirs. If they're out of the box the runner is out.

Jul 26, 2010
The batter's box is not a safe haven for the batter, they must make an effort to avoid the play.

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sometimes it's a no win situation for the batter. If she moves to get away from the play and the catcher is going the way the batter moved bad news, or if she stays in place, most likely she will be in the way of the play... bad news. No really correct thing to do but attempt to clear away from the play.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Fortunately, the batter can move any distance and direction she chooses...so she does have options. If she takes a second to read the play, she has more of a chance get out of the way. Many just blindly "back up", totally unaware of where the ball or catcher is.

But, still...who has played sports that at one time hasn't zigged when they should have zagged? Sometimes despite her best efforts, a batter will get caught in the way. It happens in lots of other spots on the field besides at home plate. Runner's accidently interfere with fielders and fielders accidently obstruct runners all the time. And when they do...it's interference or obstruction!

Oct 21, 2009
My DD typically is up in the front of the box and on PB and WP with a runner on third she typically just walks into fair territory toward the SS position. She has cleared a path for the runner, can't get hit by a toss from behind by the catcher, just has to watch out for the pitcher or 3B crashing home. This seems to work rather well, it just looks odd seeing a batter wandering around the middle of the infield.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The batter is required to avoid interfering with the play. Doesn't make any difference where they are standing at the time or intent.
Is there a difference in this if the catcher is making a throw? I guess I've misunderstood that the box was safe haven, unless the batter took some action while there to interfere in any play. Are there differences between sanctions or baseball in this rule? According to this guy:
Baseball Tips & Drills, Coaching, Rules | Team Websites | eteamz

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is there a difference in this if the catcher is making a throw? I guess I've misunderstood that the box was safe haven, unless the batter took some action while there to interfere in any play. Are there differences between sanctions or baseball in this rule? According to this guy:
Baseball Tips & Drills, Coaching, Rules | Team Websites | eteamz

I couldn't care less what someone says about baseball, this isn't baseball.

The batter cannot commit an act of INT no matter where they are.

Jul 21, 2008
Since we are on the subject of the batters box..... runner on 2nd and steals 3rd if batter stays in box can she be called for INT? If so how does she not interfer with catcher throw?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619