Stay or go

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2012
Florida
This has been weighing on me for awhile. DD has been with the top notch travel organization for the last 3yrs, 8u up to 12u,(played up this season in 12u). The coach got picked up as the HC for a NAIA College, say s he is still going to coach the team in the fall as 12u. as of now we are only playing 3 tourneys in the fall which our norm is 7 tourneys. I also took a sneak peek at his spring schedule for his college....9 weekends in a row his college team is playing. IMO i think these schedules might have an impact on development

Now, he is a great coach. But I think the writing is on the wall when look at this fall and spring schedules, it appears he's not going to have the time. We are a mix of 05s/04s, next spring is to be DDs break out season with the 04s. I know my DD has at least 3-4 season still at 12u but I don't want it ruined when the girls are still fine tuning fundamentals. Is the time now to jump ship and have her grow with another 12u team in the area?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How comfortable are you talking with this coach? Maybe he can discuss his plan for the fall and beyond? Are there other capable coaches working with him (assistants) that can coach the team during his absence? If he is a one man show without adequate backups, I may consider looking for another option. But if other quality coaches are present and this coach will still be around (even on a limited basis), it may be worth sticking around.

Many people talk about having "bench strength" in softball and baseball regarding position players, pitchers, etc. But it is just as important to have bench strength with coaches. You never know when a coach could be impacted with an illness, death in the family, or other family emergency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06