SS or 3rd covers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
I somewhat agree but it depends on what age group and what rules. For 8U & 10U, we can play 4 outfielders and always have a very shallow RF who can still make an out at 1B for any deep infield ground balls. With the understanding that 70% of the balls are hit either up the middle or to the right side of the infield, you can even cheat your outfield to the right side with the standard 3 outfielders for all other play. If you are playing a shallow right field, its helpful to have your pitcher work the ball low and outside corner to get more ground balls to the right side of the infield. My strategy would also change depending on if there were runners on base, how many outs, and how many runs we were up or down. Giving up an occasional double or triple might be acceptable if your team can make several 1B outs from shallow RF.
Agreed at 8 and 10 where the risk of the ball being hit over the RF is minimal. But at better U12 and at U14, the OF becaomes more important and a great CF will save you games. I'm also referring to situations where one run will most likely mean a loss and a triple over the RF could mean the game. The single to RF most likely won't mean the game.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red