Squash the bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Never did the water or bucket by foot so I am not sure it works or not. These players are really clever and thier body will warp to what they want to do, I think it might introduce other bad habits.

More open to something between thier knees but not ideal. Need to think about it. :)

For my DD it created a felt consequence when she simple squashed the bug. The heal would turn and hit the bucket. This plus the hitting coach watching her (so she couldn’t cheat it) seemed to help. May not work for everyone of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I have tried putting a physical barrier against the back foot. It hasn't worked that great for me. It doesn't quite address why the bug squshin' happens. Try explaining the feel of the hips. I try something like this:

Wise teacher: "Do you notice how the front leg of good hitters finishes mostly straight (not bent) and at an angle going back?"

Eager Student: Ummmmm...yes...I think so..."

Wise teacher: "The hitter doesn't land on a stiff leg. Here is what happens. The rear hip twist forward kind of towards home plate while the front hip works back. And it's that movement that creates the straight front leg and helps create bat speed and helps turn the barrel into the path of the ball". (Wise teacher demonstrates)

Eager Student: "OOHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Nov 18, 2015
A factor in the equation is a misunderstanding of how the rear leg is supposed to work. For a RH hitter, the rotational pressure at the rear foot is not rotate counter-clockwise, it's clockwise. They should feel pressure of their little toe against the outside of their shoe. Rotating the rear leg counter-clockwise puts the pivot point for pelvis rotation in the front hip socket. Clockwise rotation puts the pivot point in the rear hip, which is where it should be.
I would encourage everyone to take the time to read (and re-read) the above carefully. Then stand up and mimic the movements. To borrow a phrase - "there's a lot there to unpack".

Nov 18, 2015
Would love to think So. Was working with a few girls last night who turn the foot and no matter what I did or said - focused on hips also - they turn that dang foot.
First explain that they should mostly be rolling up onto their big toe to finish, vs. spinning their foot. Or explain it as the foot gets pulled up during the swing, it doesn't drive / cause the swing.

After any of these explanations, I'd use a drill that exaggerates a forward weight shift. Squish-the-bug can come from keeping their weight too far back, so if we get their hips moving fwd (while still rotating), it may help them discover a different feel. (The Lauren Chamberlain gif comes to mind as a demo of the hips moving fwd).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would encourage everyone to take the time to read (and re-read) the above carefully. Then stand up and mimic the movements. To borrow a phrase - "there's a lot there to unpack".

I don't have it in my files, but years ago, there was a great GIF of Crankermo's DD (Brooke) hitting in an indoor game. You can see her rear foot slipping on the turf when she swings, and it very nicely illustrates what I'm trying to describe. Understanding this was a lightbulb moment for me.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
A factor in the equation is a misunderstanding of how the rear leg is supposed to work. For a RH hitter, the rotational pressure at the rear foot is not rotate counter-clockwise, it's clockwise. They should feel pressure of their little toe against the outside of their shoe. Rotating the rear leg counter-clockwise puts the pivot point for pelvis rotation in the front hip socket. Clockwise rotation puts the pivot point in the rear hip, which is where it should be.
Follow that up with the Babe Ruth drill or some of the other drills that promote coiling the rear leg

May 12, 2016
If you put a heavy sandbag or weighted bucket next to the foot, makes it damn near impossible to turn.
Do not do that.. the result(releasing the rear foot prematurely) will be much worse than the hitter squishing the bug. eFastball gave good advice. Keep the back heel down as long as you can hold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott