Squash the bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone have some good drills or cues to help fix the dreaded, squash the bug technique. It’s a bear to fox.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
I would forget about the foot, work on thier hip turn. Should take care of itself.

Would love to think So. Was working with a few girls last night who turn the foot and no matter what I did or said - focused on hips also - they turn that dang foot.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD's hitting coach puts a water bottle behind the foot so that if it turns (squishes) it will knock the botte over. They get a chances to fix it, them it's up downs every time after that (obviously, the up downs are for students who know better). I think having something happen when they squish helps them to feel/find the fix of driving the hip instead of the foot.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD's hitting coach puts a water bottle behind the foot so that if it turns (squishes) it will knock the botte over. They get a chances to fix it, them it's up downs every time after that (obviously, the up downs are for students who know better). I think having something happen when they squish helps them to feel/find the fix of driving the hip instead of the foot.

Water bottle or some kind of bucket works great. The other thing you can try is to put something between her legs (close to the front leg/upper thigh) that she has to knock over by driving her back knee forward rather then just twisting it during hip rotation. I wish I had a video but I don’t....so it may be tough to visualize.

This is something my DD’s hitting coach did with her our first time. They didn’t even focus on the upper body (which I appreciated). It allowed DD to get the feel of driving the hip forward rather then doing a wasted squishing/twisting motion. Even a cut down pool noodle over a plunger handle could work depending on your DD’s height.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Never did the water or bucket by foot so I am not sure it works or not. These players are really clever and thier body will warp to what they want to do, I think it might introduce other bad habits.

More open to something between thier knees but not ideal. Need to think about it. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A factor in the equation is a misunderstanding of how the rear leg is supposed to work. For a RH hitter, the rotational pressure at the rear foot is not rotate counter-clockwise, it's clockwise. They should feel pressure of their little toe against the outside of their shoe. Rotating the rear leg counter-clockwise puts the pivot point for pelvis rotation in the front hip socket. Clockwise rotation puts the pivot point in the rear hip, which is where it should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802