Squash the bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Water bottle or some kind of bucket works great. The other thing you can try is to put something between her legs (close to the front leg/upper thigh) that she has to knock over by driving her back knee forward rather then just twisting it during hip rotation. I wish I had a video but I don’t....so it may be tough to visualize.

This is something my DD’s hitting coach did with her our first time. They didn’t even focus on the upper body (which I appreciated). It allowed DD to get the feel of driving the hip forward rather then doing a wasted squishing/twisting motion. Even a cut down pool noodle over a plunger handle could work depending on your DD’s height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand exactly what your Lee saying and not makes sense.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I don't have it in my files, but years ago, there was a great GIF of Crankermo's DD (Brooke) hitting in an indoor game. You can see her rear foot slipping on the turf when she swings, and it very nicely illustrates what I'm trying to describe. Understanding this was a lightbulb moment for me.

Photo%20Apr%2015%2C%2012%2041%2043%20PM.gif

Nov 8, 2018
A factor in the equation is a misunderstanding of how the rear leg is supposed to work. For a RH hitter, the rotational pressure at the rear foot is not rotate counter-clockwise, it's clockwise. They should feel pressure of their little toe against the outside of their shoe. Rotating the rear leg counter-clockwise puts the pivot point for pelvis rotation in the front hip socket. Clockwise rotation puts the pivot point in the rear hip, which is where it should be.

So I didn’t get this at first but then I did the movement correctly and now I see what you are saying. If you drag the foot and heal the foot turns clockwise as it rolls up. Great observation.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So I didn’t get this at first but then I did the movement correctly and now I see what you are saying. If you drag the foot and heal the foot turns clockwise as it rolls up. Great observation.

Once you do it correctly, the light bulb turns on. ;)

A simple way to feel the initial part of this...Stand on just your right foot, with your weight centered over the foot. Try to give your foot a quick twist clockwise. The spiral torque created causes the pelvis to turn in the opposite direction.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Once you do it correctly, the light bulb turns on. ;)

A simple way to feel the initial part of this...Stand on just your right foot, with your weight centered over the foot. Try to give your foot a quick twist clockwise. The spiral torque created causes the pelvis to turn in the opposite direction.
This is great. Stand up and try it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At full speed this might be seen as STB. I know it is not but she would have knocked over the water bottle. I also see her swing as a well balanced and 2 legged. Oh no!!

For evaluating STB issues, we can't just look at where things end up, but how they got there. Slo-mo video can be a helpful tool, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28