Spray charts by pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2013
We are using GameChanger to score our games, and last night I went to find what I thought would be a basic chart. I wanted to view a spray chart showing all AB against a certain pitcher rather than the spray chart of an individual hitter. I was hoping to use this information to help with defensive lineups and positioning given which of our pitchers is in the circle.

To my surprise, it appears GameChanger does not do this. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any clever tricks to get at this information in a different manner?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
As far as I can tell you would have to look at each opposing batter's spray chart to get an idea of where they are hitting, of course this information is only part of the key. What I mean by that is say the batter tried to pull an outside drop and hit a squib to the SS, then 2nd time up hits a down the middle hanging curve to LF, and 3rd time up goes with an outside curve to RF. The spray chart will only show where she hit it, not what pitches or where the pitches were. The same reason I laugh at people that call out where the last time the girl hit the ball, drives me crazy especially when it's another pitcher throwing LOL

May 7, 2013
As far as I can tell you would have to look at each opposing batter's spray chart to get an idea of where they are hitting, of course this information is only part of the key. What I mean by that is say the batter tried to pull an outside drop and hit a squib to the SS, then 2nd time up hits a down the middle hanging curve to LF, and 3rd time up goes with an outside curve to RF. The spray chart will only show where she hit it, not what pitches or where the pitches were. The same reason I laugh at people that call out where the last time the girl hit the ball, drives me crazy especially when it's another pitcher throwing LOL

Yes, I agree with your premise. Individual opponent spray charts are essentially worthless to me, as I would never really have enough data for them to be worth much if anything. We're not playing high level ball where there is tons of data available for every hitter. What would be of value is to quickly and easily see where balls are put in play against our pitchers. So for instance if we see that one pitcher tends to induce a lot of ground balls to the right side, we'd make darn sure we were strong at 2nd. If a pitcher had a higher percentage of fly ball outs, we may want to consider sacrificing a little in the infield to ensure our outfield was strong.

We've made some observations as a coach staff and even tallied some things by hand to support or reject what we believe we have seen. It would just be nice if it could be done quickly, easily and thoroughly by the tool. The data is there, as is the tool (spray chart) to analyze it. Unfortunately there is just no option to feed the tool the desired data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan