Sportsmanship or Lack of Killer Instinct?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
How would you coaches have handles this? I have gotten mixed reviews.

Championship game on Sunday. We are home team in the middle of the 1st inning, 2 outs, runner on 3rd, full count. Our pitcher throws ball 4, which gets past catcher. Runner from 3rd steals home and we tag her out at the plate for the 3rd out. After we bat in the bottom of the 1st we are down 4-1.

Start of the 2nd inning they send the last batter of the 1st inning out to hit again, as if she didn't finish her at bat. In the excitement of the play at home, they must have missed the called 4th ball. As a courtesy to the other team, I let them know she was not the correct batter to start the inning.

Half the people that saw it said I should have let her take a pitch, then made them take an out for batting out of order. But that just didn't seam like the right thing to do. We ended up loosing the game. I would rather teach the girls that sportsmanship is more important than winning. Am I wrong?

I guess they also need to know how to use the rules to their advantage. What would you have done?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm sure you're going to get answers on both sides but from my point of view, I believe you did it right and with class. I would rather lose or win a game on the merits of my teams' play than winning by making "cheap" outs;Championship game or not. Just remember, what comes around goes around.

Quick story about Karma:

Playing in the championship game for our old rec league. DD is a big stick and batting 4th. Other coach walks her every at bat. Bottom of the 7th and we're ahead by 2 runs.; opponents are Home team. 1 out and their #3 batter hits a double. #4 batter comes up and I intentionally walk her. Other coach is yelling and screaming which made me laugh so hard I was almost crying. #5 comes up, hits a hard liner to F6. SS catches it almost knocking her glove off. BR on second takes off on contact expecting the ball to go through and SS tags her for a DP. The other coach was so mad he wouldn't even come out to shake hands with the girls...LOL As they say...Karma's a B%$#H

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I learned not to be too nice. It went against me and came back to bite me every time.

But, if you want to call BOO, you have to let her finish her at bat. If not, the correct batter goes in to bat. (Umps will correct me, if I am wrong.)

I don't see what age group you are. At 10 and older, I would have called BOO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would rather teach the girls that sportsmanship is more important than winning. Am I wrong?

Not sure if the champ game is a good time for this lesson. Your girls have worked hard to get to that point, now it's time for you to step up and coach. Champ games are usually decided by a single run, error, hit, walk, rule.

I feel you missed an important time to show/explain to the girls in a live game situation how and why you wait until the proper time to address the ump on the rule. It could be the difference in a win and loss. Maybe it was an honest mistake by the other team.......maybe not?

I know what you did came from your heart...........that's why I leave mine in the parking lot. :)

Jun 22, 2008
As Amy indicated, to get the out you have to wait for the incorrect batter to complete the at bat, then appeal it to the umpire prior to the next pitch. If you bring it up before the batter has completed the at bat, the correct batter is brought to bat and assume the current count.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Half the people that saw it said I should have let her take a pitch, then made them take an out for batting out of order.

I could be wrong...but taking a single pitch would not constitue an out. Prior to finishing her at-bat, the other coach could realize she is batting out of order...then put in the correct batter who would assume the present count. This is an important rule to know in case you have a batting order glitch.

If this happened you might have looked a little guilty of witholding knowledge. Keep in mind, the other coach may have purposely tried to bat out of order...perhaps this player had a lot of speed. Calling him on the order may have took the wind out of his sails.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Great question. ...

I think it took courage and character to do what you did. I commend you on it.

If I'm being paid to win games (college), then I feel it's my duty to exploit that situation.

In travel ball, I think the game is about the players, and they should decide who wins and loses as much as possible.

I can't promise what I'd do in the heat of battle, but I don't think I'd ever regret showing doing something that shows sportsmanship.

The more I think of it, the more I think I'd rather be the kind of coach who did not exploit that.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If I'm being paid to win games (college), then I feel it's my duty to exploit that situation.
The more I think of it, the more I think I'd rather be the kind of coach who did not exploit that.

I just don't think this would fall into the category of "exploiting". If this is travel ball, I just can't imagine a head coach and 2-3 AC's all thought she was due to bat the following inning.

His team is down 4-1 after the first. I don't think he would be wrong calling the opposition on their bluff. 3 lessons were lost, first one to the girls on how to play the infraction, second is to show others you know the rules, third is to show the other team they are not as smart as they think.

In travel ball, I think the game is about the players, and they should decide who wins and loses as much as possible.

For the most part yes.

But coaching goes way beyond setting a line up, teaching fundamentals, etc. Two completely even matched teams will come down to the knowledge of the coach in every single situation. Don't play bush league, but they basically gave you an out.

TJ made a good point, you handle that situation to get the out.......it could change the whole essence of the game. Even more important when you are down by 3 runs in the first.
Calling him on the order may have took the wind out of his sails.

Just my 2 pennies.........carry on.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I thought the rule said that anyone caught batting out of order, while still batting the correct batter is to finish the at bat with the same count as the incorrrect batter. Meaning if one pitch is thrown, lets say its strike 1, and the defense points out she is the wrong batter, the incorrect batter goes the dugout and the correct batter is now in the box with a 0-1 count. but no out is given.

So unless this incorrect batter gets a hit, throwing 1 pitch and then telling the ump doesn't get you an out.

edit to ad. I see a few people beat me to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad