Speed vs mass?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Mass and speed should offset each other.
You would think but Physics says otherwise.
Force equals mass times acceleration
F = m * a = m * (v^2/t)

so velocity gains are squared.

The one thing I think to stay away from is lighter than the -10. I feel that if you go too far there isnt enough mass to get through the ball regardless of bat speed. JMO
I agree with you a bat can be too light.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You would think but Physics says otherwise.
Force equals mass times acceleration
F = m * a = m * (v^2/t)

so velocity gains are squared.

If my dumb head understands this correctly, as it applies to hitting a ball with a stick, swinging faster makes more of a difference than swinging heavier.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Trying to stay out of the technical equations. F = m * a = m * (v^2/t) is correct, but in this instance the correct formula is for momentum which is M = m*v. This is the measurement of two colliding objects to use (Impulse).

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If my dumb head understands this correctly, as it applies to hitting a ball with a stick, swinging faster makes more of a difference than swinging heavier.
In theory but not in practice.

Trying to stay out of the technical equations. F = m * a = m * (v^2/t) is correct, but in this instance the correct formula is for momentum which is M = m*v. This is the measurement of two colliding objects to use (Impulse).

Or I could have my forces mixed up. Thanks for the correction

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/momentum/u4l2b.cfm

May 9, 2013
I'm relatively a newbie to softball bats but did study physics a little. I think the coefficient of restitution has to come in here somewhere. To me the lighter bats are not only lighter but seem hotter. Maybe taking some of the weight out of the bat gives the sweet spot a little more trampoline effect or rebound effect between the different parts of the bat. I'm sure there is data somewhere that the sanctioning bodies use to test exit speed off the bat. If some of the most powerful hitters in the game have settled in at -10, and it is bothering her that she's not hitting more homers, then I think I'd find a -10 for her to swing and see if some of those doubles start going over the fence.

May 9, 2013
...and at her height you could even try a 34" -10 and see what happens.

Softball.com has the 2014 Xeno's on sale for $149 through today.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
bats in college

I agree with the if it ain't broke also... But maybe she could try the 34" insane or 34" -10 in whatever she wants.

I talked to a former long time D1 coach and more recently a NPF coach. He also stated that most college girls are swinging -10 bats, however he said to keep in mind that they are facing much better and faster pitching. He owns a sports retail business also and recommended the -9 for DD.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd is a bigger frame too. 5'10" and 160#.
She was a fan of a heavier bat for the last few years. Rocketechs and mostly 33,-9's or -8's... This was until we started practicing the swing with an old -12 bat to teach speed. We incorporated the light weight swings last fall. Since then, when we were shopping for her new bat, she wanted the 2legit (only available in -10) so we got the 34" ... last year she was the queen of hitting the fence with the ball while swinging her 33/-9's. This year with 34/-10 she has hit 11 balls over and a ton of doubles (some could have been triples if she were faster!) IDK if its the bat or her quicker swing... but right now its working.

Nano, for your big strong dd, try incorporating underweight tee work into her routine and let her try a 34"/-10 bat and see what happens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish