Speed. How fast is fast?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
I have been keeping contact to base times from video for the last six seasons (14u now). I also keep a number off of the batters first movement to run, though that one is a bit more subjective. I also keep stopwatch times of home to first off of first movement for my players during practice.

I have really only had one fast team during this time, which was in 12u and I can definitely say that our team average was in the 3.6 range, off of a stopwatch with 2 kids under 3 and half near 4.

My data from the video is quite a bit different (slower). I also keep numbers of the faster kids on opposing teams as well, just to give me an idea. I have not actually put the data together into a printable format, but I can say that it is pretty rare to see contact to base times under 4, though as we are getting older, we are definitely seeing it more. The lowest times in 12u and 14u have obviously been the slappers. In 12u we saw a 3.22 soft slap, and 14u we have seen a 3.1 soft slap and a 3.2 drag bunt. All of those first movement times were under 3.

Aug 8, 2016
It is also worth mentioning that the fastest times I consistently see are from stolen bases. I time from the pitcher release, to runner touching the base. I also get a secondary number from when the runner detaches from the base. I have yet to see a runner leave early, but the runners that have been called out for leaving early, usually are pushing that window down to .1. I have actually had to slow down a few of our runners as they were getting called out multiple times but not actually leaving early.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It is also worth mentioning that the fastest times I consistently see are from stolen bases. I time from the pitcher release, to runner touching the base. I also get a secondary number from when the runner detaches from the base. I have yet to see a runner leave early, but the runners that have been called out for leaving early, usually are pushing that window down to .1. I have actually had to slow down a few of our runners as they were getting called out multiple times but not actually leaving early.
What style used coming off the bases on your runners called out leaving early?

Oct 4, 2018

You are the stopwatch magician. I would fail big time trying to get all those measurements.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
She should be a slapper and learn a better skill set in the outfield.

LOL Years and years ago the player I referenced as having DI speed, was converted to a slapper and she never mastered the skill set. She just hits and bunts from the left side now. Her bat isn't horrible but IMO it isn't DI level. Her swing is long which leads to decent power numbers but her BA isn't great and her strike out rate is high. As far as being an outfielder, that change was also made long ago and she's below average IMO. The problem defensively isn't her range in the outfield which is excellent. Her problems are that she dives for everything (even when there is zero chance of making the play) and therefore gives up extra bases and even more problematic is that her arm strength is horrific. So, in a nutshell her range will get you some extra outs but her overly aggressive defensive play and weak arm will give opponents lot's of extra bases.

In any case, this is a 2021 already committed to a DI school so, it is what it is.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
LOL Years and years ago the player I referenced as having DI speed, was converted to a slapper and she never mastered the skill set. She just hits and bunts from the left side now. Her bat isn't horrible but IMO it isn't DI level. Her swing is long which leads to decent power numbers but her BA isn't great and her strike out rate is high. As far as being an outfielder, that change was also made long ago and she's below average IMO. The problem defensively isn't her range in the outfield which is excellent. Her problems are that she dives for everything (even when there is zero chance of making the play) and therefore gives up extra bases and even more problematic is that her arm strength is horrific. So, in a nutshell her range will get you some extra outs but her overly aggressive defensive play and weak arm will give opponents lot's of extra bases.

In any case, this is a 2021 already committed to a DI school so, it is what it is.

Wow, speechless! Well you can't teach aggressiveness. The irony is we have a 65 percentile runner here that dives but never misses; ever! She is the only diver. She is an excellent slider and we only had about 25% of the girls on the National team who could slide. The two best sliders got cut! This OF got cut! I taught the entire team how to slide in 40 minutes with a system. First of many lessons. Pathetic, but not one coach teaches sliding here that I have seen. They learn on their own. Slapping: There is a system, but if the coach is not familiar with a system, the girl will struggle. I am shocked that she is signed with only one skill. A project that will take too much investment IMHO.

Jul 31, 2019
Agree that sliding is rarely taught. It’s assumed that a player can do it. My 15U team was taught at 10U how to slide including, pop-up, hook, and slide by-tap. It was not always pretty, but it was a difference maker then an now

Apr 26, 2019
Wow, speechless! Well you can't teach aggressiveness. The irony is we have a 65 percentile runner here that dives but never misses; ever! She is the only diver. She is an excellent slider and we only had about 25% of the girls on the National team who could slide. The two best sliders got cut! This OF got cut! I taught the entire team how to slide in 40 minutes with a system. First of many lessons. Pathetic, but not one coach teaches sliding here that I have seen. They learn on their own. Slapping: There is a system, but if the coach is not familiar with a system, the girl will struggle. I am shocked that she is signed with only one skill. A project that will take too much investment IMHO.

I might be diverging some from the topic but it amazes me the number of players that can't or won't slide. DD is an excellent baserunner and doesn't hesitate to slide. She is 11. Only about half her team show a willingness to slide on the base path. It costs them by not sliding. I would contend, and I might be wrong, but if it is close and the player slides, they will get the benefit of the doubt. If a player tries to come in standing up and it is close rhe chance if being called out goes up greatly.

And just to stay on topic, as stated above my DD is 11 playing first year 12U. Home to first she runs a 3.1. Fastest player is 3 flat and the second fastest was 3.04.

The slowest was an abysmal 4.8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles