Some Swing Thoughts.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
High school season just wrapped up and I was able to do a lot of swinging the last few days. I spent a few hours with a tee and some balls and did a lot of thinking. I came to a few conclusions and wanted to bounce them off of some people hoping to get some input.

1. Doing the Braun drill is a great way to feel barrel turn. A tip of the barrel forward and then an attack point of the inside seam. I think that this could be a great way to teach a proper swing plane (speaking of swing plane, I did a lot of thinking how steep the plane should be. I was messing around with belt high,inside pitches and a radically steep swing plane and was able to really get behind the ball and drive it up the middle). I also felt that the Braun drill can really promote getting behind and through the ball.

2. Stretch and fire 90/45 gives you a feel like no other. The way the barrel gets flung through the zone is amazing. I did some pull the knob to the ball swings, pushy/punchy swings, and some SNF rearward barrel turn swings. The sound off of the wooden bat said it all.

3. A tip of the barrel is huge. While doing some regular swings and happy gilmore swings I noticed when I got a good tip to CF/RCF (right hand hitter) it made a huge difference the way the ball came off of the bat. I am not sure if the tip is a necessity but the difference was drastic for me.

I will be working with over 25 kids during our summer program and need to get the best bang for my buck due to the large group. These were a few things that I think I want each kid to have a really good feel for and be able to do correctly.

Looking forward to getting some PM's or replies

Happy Memorial Day!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Could you explain brain drill?

Braun Drill:
Braun_teetogame.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Doug, I agree. He clearly states that his first drill is about warming up his upper body without his lower body. When he feels that is warmed up properly he adds the lower body and states that he is doing the same thing with the upper body that he was doing before.

It's basically a two-step warmup .... he gets the upper body working first (he does speak of the 'hands') and then marries that with the lower body.

Those that truly listen to Candrea understand that he speaks of doing pretty much the same thing. I've seen him speak of "live and independent hands" many times ..... and he does such a two step sequence (and Candrea does also speak of the 'hands').

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA