Some Bragging on My Little Girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I swear, sometimes I think they live to scare me. We are in the middle of our post season rec tournament (10U). Last night, we played against the #2 team. They were the only team that we had not beaten. We played an extra inning after the time clock went off, because we were tied 10-10. We could have won it with just enough time for the game to be over, but a couple of passed balls and errors allowed them to tie it up. In the extra inning, we managed to get one run in. (Two teams were schedule to play after us at 8:15 and the poor girls didn't start until 9.) After that, we were sweating bullets. We were at the bottom of their lineup, and our pitcher (who wasn't throwing that great that night) managed to strike out the first two batters. Two outs now, and the girl hits a ball to second base. Easy toss to first seals the victory!

I can not even begin to tell you how excited they were. In the beginning of the season, I'm not even going to lie--I didn't know if we'd ever even win a game, nevertheless a game in the tournament! Tonight, at 6 we play for the semi finals. I told them that all they have to do is win that game and they are guaranteed a trophy (first and second are the only ones to get a trophy). They are excited about that possibility, let me tell you. Their past games with the team we are playing tonight were close, whew. I've got my fingers crossed. They've worked hard, they've worked ME hard and I'd love to see them go far.

For one of the first times as well, I've really seen the parents get into it. Sometimes the games are slow, but last night surely kept them awake! I'm hoping to convert all the parents into softball fanatics. ;-)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Thank you Holly. :) I can't wait to update everyone tonight, after the final game. It's going to be a long, long night if we make it to the finals. We play an hour and fifteen minutes in the semis, then if we make it to the finals it is a 6 inning game. Five runs each inning, except in the 6th--you can get as many as you want then, I believe. There is no slaughter rule for 10U in the regular season, I don't know if there is tonight or not. The other team is very good (dominating pitcher) however we have beaten them before--when that pitcher wasn't there. I think they can hit her, however, and if our pitcher is on her A-game then we should be all right.

I will ask about the the run limit in the 6th inning, however. I'm not sure if that applies to 10U. They never reach 6 or 7 innings playing an hour and fifteen, so we have never had to worry about it. Heck, one year the 10U champs was seven innings. Only took 'em about four hours to play! Also need to ask if they will enact the slaughter for the tourney.

Apr 13, 2010
Good luck. It's always fun to see the girls succeed and be a part of it. Hope you get your hardware.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thats awesome....good luck

Mine aren't so little anymore... in fact this weekend I took a shot off one of our batters that smashed foul. Yup it left a mark.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Unfortunately, we lost the semifinals by one run. We nearly had the game in the bag. It was 5-1 and we went into the last inning (timed game). Unfortunately, some errors and walks lead to the score being 5-6. Unfortunately, we couldn't tie it up despite the top of our lineup coming up. The poor little things were shaking in their cleats.

After the game, however, we had a nice chat with the parents. They really appreciate all that we've done and they are excited about the clinics that I'm planning with the help of some of the older girls in the area. They are also excited about doing fall ball. One of the girls played soccer previously, but she has REALLY gotten into softball. Her mother asked her if she would rather play soccer or fall ball with Amanda and she immediately replied "Fall Ball!"

After the game, I constantly have little kids from opposing teams approaching me. I had a ten minute conversation with a mother of a child on an opposing team today and I have NO idea who she was. I've gotten hugs from kids who I have no idea who they are... but they sure know me! I guess I could be famous for something far worse in this rural area.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Congratulations, Amanda. It sounds as if you've done a great job with this team! I look forward to hearing what you do after you graduate. It sounds as if you have a real future in coaching or teaching.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Thank you, I'm really looking forward to the clinics and fall ball. I'll admit that I am a bit of a control freak and I will have more control in the fall. The head coach works in a peanut factory, peanuts come in during the fall so he will be largely unavailable. His assistant is moving away, so that leaves me and another guy. I hope to be able to recruit more help. For instance, I've got a friend that really makes the sacrifice to play travel ball, on top of school and rec so she would be a great help to me. It would be worth my time and energy to have to pick her up and take her home if she would be willing to help me out. Her parents don't have a lot of money (I don't know the exact details, but she's a travel ball "sponsorship" kid... all of her stuff is paid for by some rich crazy softball daddy), she nor her older sister drive yet, etc. So her getting to practices and stuff would be an issue, however, I'd certainly be willing to take her to everything because she'd be SO useful. She's planning on helping me with the clinics.

Let me tell you, I'm already worrying about what to do after I graduate. I love coaching, I love the little girls, but I do want to go off to college somewhere. I still want to be able to interact with softball girls at some level while at college, so hopefully I'll be able to find a team to help out with. I really do need to figure out where I'm going to college... I'll be a senior next year. My mother graduated from Virginia Tech, so she's pushing for me to go there. I have a lot of options because I've got excellent grades and a ton of extra curricular activities. I'm not bragging, but that's just how it is.

May 25, 2010
Right on!! That's so awesome and I love the fact that your girls hung in there despite a tough season.

As for you, it's so crystal clear that you'd be a tremendous asset to any softball program anywhere. So, I hope you move to NorCal next year. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877