Softball Tournament - Questions I need answered

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Hello everyone,

This past weekend we had our end of the season softball tournament for our rec league teams. My team played a great first game against a team we played earlier in the year and we won.

Our second game was against a team we also played previously and won against in our regular season. The girls on that team were not the same girls we played during the regular season. They were bigger and played much better than the team we played during the regular season. They ended up winning. Since the tournament was double elimination, we still moved on to a third game.

The third game was against a team that dropped out of the league because they said they didn't have enough players to play and therefore they forfeit all of their games. Miraculously, they had put together a team with enough players for the tournament. These girls too were very skilled and they ended up beating us.

I later found out that both the second team we played and the third team we played "stacked" their teams with players from their travelling leagues. These travelling leagues practice year round and are much, much more skilled than a rec team who only plays and practices 3 months a year.

How can the ASA allow teams to do this sort of thing? I'm not trying to sound like a sore loser - I don't mind my girls losing, as long as the game is fair. I don't understand how a team can pull out of the league and forfeit every game but then some how put together a team for the tournament?

Even though the outcome wasn't exactly what we wanted, I told my girls to hold their heads high. They did a great job and left everything out on the field, which as a coach is all I can ask for. They did a great job and I'm very proud of them. I just wish those games would have been fair and they would have played against teams with equal skill level.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Rec league and ASA Tournaments are two different animals. As long as the players are ASA registered, playing in the correct age group, and on the roster all is good.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
ASA really has little to do with a rec-league end of season tournament (even if they have rules against it)

This is all about who organizes your local rec league and what they allow/don't allow - so the league president/board/division commissioner whatever. If they want to allow ringers and newly formed teams or even just turn a blind eye to what is happening for the end of season tournament then these are the people you need to address your this with.

(assuming I have read your post and this is a rec league and all the teams are from the same rec league)

May 23, 2012
Rec league and ASA Tournaments are two different animals. As long as the players are ASA registered, playing in the correct age group, and on the roster all is good.

Even if the players who play in the tournament are not the same ones who play during the regular season games? Also, what about the team that dropped out of the league entirely? I don't understand how they can drop out and forfeit every game but then show up at the tournament?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our Rec. League local rule is a Player needs to play in at least 50% of the league games unless they have a doctors notes and a couple of board approvals.

There was a 10U Team disqualified this year because they brought in a ringer for the year end tourney. Unfortunately administrators needed to go home to sort out the Player was not suppose to be playing, not sure how they unwound it.

May 23, 2012
Our Rec. League local rule is a Player needs to play in at least 50% of the league games unless they have a doctors notes and a couple of board approvals.

I agree with this rule. It was just terrible that our girls worked so hard to do a great job during the short season that we have only to be beaten by a team with different players who practice year round and a team that dropped out of the league.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Even if the players who play in the tournament are not the same ones who play during the regular season games? Also, what about the team that dropped out of the league entirely? I don't understand how they can drop out and forfeit every game but then show up at the tournament?

Again, ASA does not run your rec league or your rec league tournament. The people locally who do are in control of how the league and tournament are run. These are the people you need answers from.

Our rec league has rules concerning eligibility for playoffs and how teams are managed/coached etc. Yours will have these as well.

May 23, 2012
Again, ASA does not run your rec league or your rec league tournament. The people locally who do are in control of how the league and tournament are run. These are the people you need answers from.

Our rec league has rules concerning eligibility for playoffs and how teams are managed/coached etc. Yours will have these as well.

Thanks for the information. I will dig into this at the rec league level and see what I can come up with. I appreciate everybody's response and I am sure this has happened to every team at one point in time.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
This is 100% your REC league's mistake. In our REC league, only girls that have played in the league during the regular season can play in the tournament. Now, there have been two teams that have combined teams for the tourney to get enough girls to play, but all those players previously played during the year. Also, if your REC league is anything like ours, I don't know why a "Coach" would want his TB team playing in the year end tourney. This does nothing for their skills or growth to just pound on girls that are not as highly skilled. Heck, if they want a trophy that bad, just go out and buy them.

May 23, 2012
This is 100% your REC league's mistake. In our REC league, only girls that have played in the league during the regular season can play in the tournament. Now, there have been two teams that have combined teams for the tourney to get enough girls to play, but all those players previously played during the year. Also, if your REC league is anything like ours, I don't know why a "Coach" would want his TB team playing in the year end tourney. This does nothing for their skills or growth to just pound on girls that are not as highly skilled. Heck, if they want a trophy that bad, just go out and buy them.

I totally agree with you. As I mentioned above, we played a team that actually dropped out of the league at the beginning of the season because they said they didn't have enough girls to play... then they were in the tournament with their traveling team even though they didn't play 1 game during the regular season. I talked to some other coaches and they told me that the team we played is known for dropping out of the league and forfeiting every game so they get an easier tournament schedule.

I don't know why a coach for a traveling team would want to have their girls pound on a rec league team, but we played 2 of them, and I am sure there were more there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877