Softball returns to Dallas...and everyone ignores social distancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD's team was suppose to play a double header there this evening. Now I'm about 90pct sure her team willn't play until August.

Aug 25, 2019
To all fellow DFers, if you are in a state that is spiking, please be smart and stay safe! We here in NY got hammered, 800 deaths a day, hospitals packed, (5 Covid deaths yesterday), it took over three months to get it under control, but we are just about there. Everyone wearing masks indoors without complaint, most( not all) still social distancing. So after 3 months without it, our softball starting back July 6th So if you have to miss softball for a month or two to get the virus under control, so be it.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Good info and thanks for sharing! It is very interesting and definitely up to the local leaders I guess. We played today and fortunately or unfortately made it to tomorrow. I say that as I have to get up at 5:30 am for a 8:00 game...... All good!

That said, the 10U division of the tournament we are playing in got axed last night as it is in Denton County. They said, absolutely NOT and you are done!!

Our division is being played in the neighboring county and I guess the local leaders in that county said go ahead. Pretty much convinced this will be the last tournament we will see for awhile so soaking it in although I am a bit skeptical that we should even be there and playing with another record day of cases in Dallas today. It is a USSSA tourney and they didn't have 1 bit of protective measures in place. No hand sanitizer stations, no social distancing, no nothing. Actually had some team members leave after they arrived today saying there are FAR MORE than 100 people there and they didn't feel comfortable. I get it! I felt the same way to be honest but we didn't leave. It was a hot mess and I wish USSSA would put some sort of measures in place. Again, nothing!! Just like it has always been.

I did hear that there were people there calling the cops that it was a social gathering of 200 plus people but never saw any policemen show up or do anything about it. Could have been a rumor and not saying the cops didn't do there job. NOT saying that at all. I suspect the county gave permission to continue the event but people were shocked a bit when they showed up.

Anyway, and as said above, glad we are playing but not sure we should be and likely this is it before it all goes away for awhile. It will I believe based on the spike we are seeing so will enjoy what I believe will be my last very early morning tomorrow with my youngest DD for awhile. I hope I am wrong but definitely not looking good.

Stay safe folks! Crazy times!!

S3

Where did you guys play?

Oct 4, 2018
To all fellow DFers, if you are in a state that is spiking, please be smart and stay safe! We here in NY got hammered, 800 deaths a day, hospitals packed, (5 Covid deaths yesterday), it took over three months to get it under control, but we are just about there. Everyone wearing masks indoors without complaint, most( not all) still social distancing. So after 3 months without it, our softball starting back July 6th So if you have to miss softball for a month or two to get the virus under control, so be it.

Yes, we're (collectively) in control of when things can resume. Sad that not everyone is doing their part.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Where did you guys play?
We were in Frisco TX at Shawnee. USSSA sanctioned tourney.

Buddy of mine is at a baseball USSSA tourney as I type this in Grapevine, TX. Mandatory Masks, social distancing , etc. etc. Grapevine is a quick drive from here. He said, the rules have changed not only daily but almost hourly to what everyone had to do.

I realize it is up to local officials but USSSA has to do something. Our USSSA softball tournament had ZERO mandates while the USSSA baseball tourney down the road had very intense restrictions and mandates. Again, probably just the different local areas but would like to see the sanctioning body do at least something.

Give us a hand sanitizer station at a minimum please.........

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We were in Frisco TX at Shawnee. USSSA sanctioned tourney.

Buddy of mine is at a baseball USSSA tourney as I type this in Grapevine, TX. Mandatory Masks, social distancing , etc. etc. Grapevine is a quick drive from here. He said, the rules have changed not only daily but almost hourly to what everyone had to do.

I realize it is up to local officials but USSSA has to do something. Our USSSA softball tournament had ZERO mandates while the USSSA baseball tourney down the road had very intense restrictions and mandates. Again, probably just the different local areas but would like to see the sanctioning body do at least something.

Give us a hand sanitizer station at a minimum please.........

We were in McKinney at Gabe Nesbit. Definitely no real restrictions. I policed our team/parents and provided our own sanitizer station. My wife (watching live stream) saw our AC giving the girls high fives one inning, and texted me. I put a stop to it. We as a team have decided to be a responsible as possible with the things we can control.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We were in TN and there were no precautions other than restroom doors being propped open and one bottle of sanitizer at the concession stand. I saw one umpire wearing a mask and that was literally it. There were more precautions at the hotel than at the park (no breakfast buffet, sanitizer stations at the front desk and elevators). I held it as long as I could to avoid using that bathroom and only went once. We stayed pretty distanced as much as possible until the giant thunderstorm on Sat. PM and then there were people huddled under tents. My only comfort is that we were outside vs. inside and I do believe the research is now showing that outside is relatively safe provided you're not breathing in each other's faces.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Everyone behaving themselves at PGF in Florida for the most part. TD had to call a few people out by name to get them to move on out of the central quad but otherwise had another good weekend with spectators in the outfield. People here continue to behave and follow guidelines well.

We did have 2 or 3 teams drop late due to family cases of Covid; I appreciate that they did that rather than try to hide it and play anyway.

Mar 6, 2018
Good info and thanks for sharing! It is very interesting and definitely up to the local leaders I guess. We played today and fortunately or unfortately made it to tomorrow. I say that as I have to get up at 5:30 am for a 8:00 game...... All good!

That said, the 10U division of the tournament we are playing in got axed last night as it is in Denton County. They said, absolutely NOT and you are done!!

Our division is being played in the neighboring county and I guess the local leaders in that county said go ahead. Pretty much convinced this will be the last tournament we will see for awhile so soaking it in although I am a bit skeptical that we should even be there and playing with another record day of cases in Dallas today. It is a USSSA tourney and they didn't have 1 bit of protective measures in place. No hand sanitizer stations, no social distancing, no nothing. Actually had some team members leave after they arrived today saying there are FAR MORE than 100 people there and they didn't feel comfortable. I get it! I felt the same way to be honest but we didn't leave. It was a hot mess and I wish USSSA would put some sort of measures in place. Again, nothing!! Just like it has always been.

I did hear that there were people there calling the cops that it was a social gathering of 200 plus people but never saw any policemen show up or do anything about it. Could have been a rumor and not saying the cops didn't do there job. NOT saying that at all. I suspect the county gave permission to continue the event but people were shocked a bit when they showed up.

Anyway, and as said above, glad we are playing but not sure we should be and likely this is it before it all goes away for awhile. It will I believe based on the spike we are seeing so will enjoy what I believe will be my last very early morning tomorrow with my youngest DD for awhile. I hope I am wrong but definitely not looking good.

Stay safe folks! Crazy times!!

S3
Yes, I heard that Denton shut down the tournament this weekend. My DD played in the 16/18u grouping at Heritage Yards in Plano. I somewhat stayed clear of people, social distancing and with the wind this weekend, I felt safe. However, large groups were still congregating in the pavilion. Had DD use hand sanitizer after the games. Enjoyed the weekend and nice to work on my burn after being locked up for 4 months. But damn, my face is fried!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA