Softball returns to Dallas...and everyone ignores social distancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The one tournament I have been to that they were enforcing social distancing only made it worst. Only letting teams in when game before finished and that resulted in a big group at the gate.
Yup we had one like that and saw the exact same thing.

Oct 4, 2018
We are set to move to the next phase of our re-opening in IL Friday and we will be playing in a tournament this weekend. I will be curious to see how the rules are followed, we have been practicing for the past month and have implemented various procedures for our practices. Coaches wear masks players are spaced apart.

I am excited for our team to play but at the same time concerned. We have done a good job in IL in regards to flattening the curve but that is because of guidelines set forth by the state. I have a strong sense that within the next month that will start to reverse, I hope I am wrong but based on what other states are showing I am not overly confident.

I really don't understand why this is deemed a political issue, the virus could give a darn about your political associations. Although not required I plan on wearing a mask this weekend when in close contact with the team, just as I do at our practices.

It’s a good idea to carry a mask for you and your DD in case they need to use a public rest room.

Oct 4, 2018
😕 Brutal Reality

Yeah, it's rough. It's frustrating. And to some people and some families, it's life changing and tragic.

We've played a few tournaments. I agree it's fun. For DD, for me. We've greatly enjoyed it. Practice and games are about the only time we leave the house. I also play tennis with my boy.

Like most here, I feel softball can be done safely. And so we do.

But I can do that while recognizing that Covid is still a worldwide pandemic. It didn't go away because we want it to. It's only getting worse. And it's frustrating to see others not care or not try to protect others.

Sep 12, 2019
We are in Texas and started playing last week, both in TFL League and in tournaments. I can say that so far it's BAU, no one is wearing masks and girls on the team are still high-fiving and celebrating wins. There have been numerous teams shut down and placed on quarantine in the last two weeks, either to players, parents or coaches being confirmed positive.

We are scheduled to play in Houston (Colorado Sparkler) next week and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. Triple Crown has outlined a plan for addressing Covid and the measures they are going to take, I hope that everyone abides by them to keep everyone safe.

May 20, 2016
Weird to read through this. Had our first tourny this past week in the north east and everyone was social distancing besides the teams themselves. Not a lot of masks but everyone was more than 6' apart. Had to put on a mask to use the facilities though and people followed that. Guess when you see how bad it can actually be first hand you tend to take it a little more seriously.

Oct 4, 2018
Other teams wanted to high 5 after games. We probably looked funny with the girls all backing away slowly and coaches waving their hands frantically asking them not to.

Nov 8, 2018
Weird to read through this. Had our first tourny this past week in the north east and everyone was social distancing besides the teams themselves. Not a lot of masks but everyone was more than 6' apart. Had to put on a mask to use the facilities though and people followed that. Guess when you see how bad it can actually be first hand you tend to take it a little more seriously.

I’m in NJ and you are 100%. We’ve seen the ugly. Our team and league is being careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016
I was just reading through the USA/ASA Softball new set of rules for COVID-19:
Rule 4, Section C: Base coaches must stay 6 feet from a runner they wish to talk to during or after suspension of play.
In game result:
Runner on 1st doesn't understand sign...looks to 1st base coach for clarification...1st base coach staying 6ft away yells, "STEAL ON THE NEXT PITCH." :LOL:

Rule 5 Section 7: Coaches holding defensive conference must stay on the home plate side of the pitcher’s circle and the player or players must be on the opposite of the pitcher’s circle maintaining the 6 feet distance. No more than 2 players along with the pitcher allowed.
In Game result:
Pitcher who is struggling or facing other team's dominant hitter goes to the far back 2nd base side of the ring. Coach comes out to explain how they are to pitch to other team's dominant hitter goes to home plate side of ring to maintain 6ft distance...then yells..,"WE ARE GOING TO NOT THROW HER ANYTHING SHE CAN HIT. OK? TRY AND MAKE HER CHASE YOUR CHANGEUP." :oops:

Rule 6A, Section 6: No licking of fingers and wiping them off.
In game result:
EVERY girl on the team thats been eating that stringy chewy sugary sour patch kids ribbon candy for the past 5 innings all have sticky, nasty, sugary fingers and now the ball does and their bats do (which could be a good thing) and takes them 5 minutes to put on and take off their damn batting gloves. 🤲👏🤞👌🖖🍭🍭

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma