Softball Mom's are the greatest.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
SOFTBALL MOM'S ARE THE GREATEST

Back in 1999 I stopped by my Mom's house. I came in, she was at the dining room table. We had our usual ‘how are you getting along’ conversation.

After a few minutes she asked, "Do you remember the first team you pitched for in the ASA Men’s Leagues?" I said “Yes. It was for a newspaper sportswriter's team in Hayward, California, it was 1974, right after I had graduated high school”. She said that was correct.

She then asked me if I remembered the very first game I had pitched for them and I said, "Uh,, nooo". And then she started;

"Well let me tell you. It was June 4th, 1974. You played a team called The Paper Lyons. Your team won 6 to 5. You struck out 14 batters and 12 of them were in a row. You hit 2 batters, walked 2 batters and had 4 innings of 3 up, 3 down. Now do you remember?" Again I said no.

She then asked if I remembered what I did right after the game and again I said no. She went on, "After the game your team went to a pizza parlor. The team's scorekeeper gave you all of those stats. You couldn't find a piece of paper so you wrote them down on a paper plate. Do you remember doing that?" Again, I said no.

She continued, "Dad and I were still at church when you got home and you left that paper plate note in the middle of the kitchen table for us to find when we got home. Do you remember doing that?"

By that point my mouth was as wide open as a backstop and I replied, "Mom, no, I don't. I don't remember that night at all, that was 25 years ago. How do you remember all of this crud?"

Then she reached into a bag near her feet, pulled that 25-year-old yellowed paper plate out and asked, "Do you want your note back?"

Mom, I love ya, you're the greatest .

Your humbled son, Hal.

Mom passed away in 2009. She was born on December 25th. We will always set a plate for her at the Christmas table.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
She told me that she had hung onto it for the first 25 years and that I had to hang onto it for the next 25 years. It is in a bag, in a file cabinet in my storeroom.

Feb 9, 2013
What a beautiful story.. I have been enjoying travel ball so much with my daughter. Its is something we get to do as a family. I hope she will look back on these years with fond memories. I know I will..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd