Softball Glove Closes Wrong???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I have a player that her glove doesn't close properly and she is dropping a lot of fly balls. It closes angled instead of around the ball. Any suggestions what to do??

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Not aware of a sure-thing fix, but I would start with the following....Whenever the glove is NOT being used it should always be stored or put away with a ball inside the pocket.

At this point in time, (when storing it with the ball in the pocket) you may need to "help" it hold the ball in the pocket with a large rubber band or small bungee chord.

Good Luck

Oct 10, 2011
Hard to tell without looking at it but was it used as an infielder's glove at one point? Some break them in to have a small pocket for a quick transition...or maybe they just parked their car on in wrong:) I would go with the glove and ball advice from T.J. and see if that helps.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The glove doesn't catch the ball or have any automatic functions. It is the player's job to manipulate the glove to make the catch. And what's that other thing? Oh, yeah, the second hand to use to insure the ball is caught.

Feb 3, 2011
If I understand what you're saying, when the glove is placed down, it closes in a way that's somewhat skewed compared to many other gloves. DD's glove was similar when she got it, but because it's so stiff, it has no impact on her game play. At the time of purchase, I thought it was odd myself, but she didn't care, because it was the color she wanted. lol

She keeps a ball in it whenever it's not in use. And for the first several months, it was wrapped with a band in order to correct it a bit.

And while we all have different techniques for catching fly balls, I'm a firm believer that the throwing hand should be involved in catching easy fly balls. The hand assists the glove in doing its job.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Is this a younger fielder with a new or "pink" glove by any chance?

I see a lot of younger players (sub 10u) that seemingly don't have the hand strength to correctly close a glove made from cheap materials, or an un-broken in nice glove. You'll see them twist their palm inwards as they catch to help close the glove.

Sounds like the glove needs to be re-broken in if possible. My younger DD started with an old Wilson pink glove that was so padded you could park my truck on it overnight and it would pop back into its original shape once you moved the vehicle. We got her a new one.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
We told the girls that their glove should look like a burrito, not a taco, so always keep a ball in it. Might be time to shop for a new glove if that one has developed hinges in the wrong spots.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I see a lot of younger players (sub 10u) that seemingly don't have the hand strength to correctly close a glove made from cheap materials, or an un-broken in nice glove. You'll see them twist their palm inwards as they catch to help close the glove.

Or the glove is just too large for the player.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves