Softball Camps - What to expect? Worth the cost?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My 13 yo DD wants to attend a 1 day softball camp. What should I expect her to gain from attending a camp? The day is broken up into 3 sessions. Batting / Fielding / Pitching. Each session is 2-3 hours long. Not sure what to expect and if it is worth the cost. I agree that more exposure is for the best, but depending on how many girls attend will they get the instruction/attention that makes it worth the $$$. The camp is being put on by a Div I college.

Dec 7, 2011
DD here is 15yo and even though I think each girl is going to have a unique experience for my DD it was awesome. It was her first D1 in a major metropolis. It was right after her first year as a freshman varsity pitcher and right before TB. This sole moment, just on a weekend, took her to a whole new level (at least batting-wise).

I think they are great in getting girls to experience "bigger" focus on them and to also better see where they are compared to a broader and better group of girls that usually attends these.

We are "all-in" on these bigger camps at this point.

Jan 25, 2011
IMO,it is good sometimes to get a fresh set of eyes to look at your dd.I also think at the same time that these camps are limited with the time given.If was less then, say $100 to go,I would give it a shot,myself.good luck

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been to 1 camp and am not sure she retained anything they showed her. She had a great time working with the older players so we will be going to more if the price is right.

Nov 14, 2011
One of my biggest concerns is that they don't limit the number of attendees. I have heard some of Finch's camps have 200+ girls attend. I'm sure this one won't be that bad, but how much instruction will she see depends on how many girls are there.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD loves softball camps. She has certainly learned a lot from various camps over time but just as importantly she has made an immense number of friends from all over the place. We go to tournaments and I swear she knows someone from almost every team we see (and not just in her age group or from local teams either). We have often been looking for her and find her chatting to some players from another team we have never seen before (but 'so and so went to camp x with me').

The other thing I really like is that these camps offer role models for the girls as they are regularly staffed by current or former college players (or even high school players for the younger age groups) and almost every one of the camp staffers we have met has been more than willing to go out of their way to be really cool with the campers. It is good for the girls to see who they could be in a few years time if they put the work in and be exposed to this sort of role model. While softball is getting more and more TV time you don't have the constant exposure the male dominated sports have. We went to a D1 college game last season at a college where my DD went to a camp last summer and 3/4 of the team came over to say hello to her when they saw her - that makes a huge impact on a young girl.

The older the age group of the camp the more 'serious' and specific skills focused the camp becomes especially if your DD has good solid fundamentals then the extra eyes and small corrections and hints become more important. I have also seen some major corrections in the fundamentals being taught (especially in throwing - I am still stunned by how poorly many players in high level exposure teams throw).

Every camp is different. Some are outstanding and some are not so good. If it is a repeat camp see if you can get previous campers to give you feedback on who the target camper is and who is working the camp and whether it is worth the time.

One last comment - week long camps I expect that they will learn a lot as there is enough time to 'teach' a group. My expectations for one day camps and clinics are a lot less - if they pick up one or two things (or if I pick up one or two things) that is great - but if they have a good time being around other softball players then that is every bit as important. As a coach I have picked up a lot over time as well (drills to use, ways to teach skills, approaches to coaching, organization of stations, etc, etc).

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
My DD just attended the University of Tennessee camp this past weekend. There were probably 250 - 300 girls there. If you are lookng for one to one instruction , this isnt the type of camp for you , But they do cover a wide range of skills , etc during the sessions. This is the second time my DD has attended and absolutely loves it. She enjoys the fast pace and also likes to compare herself against other players from all over the country. These big camps also provide a chance for a little exposure. The camp had 20+ college level coaches there this weekend.(All levels , not just D1). I dont know that she learned anything magical this weekend , but she did say she was very interested in the session that dealt with the mental game.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD has been to three or four clinics hosted by UAB and has improved with each one. They limit the number of girls so that is a big help and each group around six girls in it so they get a ton of reps and individual instruction and one on one time with a college athlete or coach. They are great with the parents as well and take the time to let us know what they are doing and allow us to follow the groups so we are learning at the same time. We picked up several new drills to use with our team once we start back in January and will get the chance to go to a winter clinic later that month.

If you are within a couple of hours of Birmingham I would highly recomend that you check them out. You will not find a better hitting clinic for the cost. I think the one day clinics are $40 and it's around $60 for the two day summer sessions and the next one is on MLK day 1/16.

Nov 14, 2011
That is quite a drive from where I live, but heck it is warmer down there! Road trip!

Thanks for your comments.

My DD has been to three or four clinics hosted by UAB and has improved with each one. They limit the number of girls so that is a big help and each group around six girls in it so they get a ton of reps and individual instruction and one on one time with a college athlete or coach. They are great with the parents as well and take the time to let us know what they are doing and allow us to follow the groups so we are learning at the same time. We picked up several new drills to use with our team once we start back in January and will get the chance to go to a winter clinic later that month.

If you are within a couple of hours of Birmingham I would highly recomend that you check them out. You will not find a better hitting clinic for the cost. I think the one day clinics are $40 and it's around $60 for the two day summer sessions and the next one is on MLK day 1/16.

Jun 21, 2010
DD went to Mike Candrea's Holiday Camp in Tucson this past weekend. Her experience was mixed somewhat. 200+ girls there but well thought out. DD loved the camp but didn't care for the long day flying from Washington State. Take the flight out and she had the best weekend in a long time. She was intrigued by how far other girls came for the camp; ie Florida, Chicago, Texas, Colorado, etc... We came away with alot of new ideas for practices. Coach Candrea took time to talk about DD's swing. He also took a photo with her and signed two softballs--one for her and one for her hitting coach. I think it was worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd