So,...you say you know how to...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
This is why it was extremely important to me that my daughter went to a pitching coach who actually was a pitcher and not some joe blow who's never actually pitched a day in his life

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is why it was extremely important to me that my daughter went to a pitching coach who actually was a pitcher and not some joe blow who's never actually pitched a day in his life

Quite a few former pitchers can't teach the first thing about pitching though because they were tremendous athletes who just figured it out, never studied their own mechanics, and just regurgitate the garbage they were told.

A lot of those Joe Blows have done considerably more work in the realm of teaching the skill. IMO that makes them more qualified.

Feb 13, 2018
Quite a few former pitchers can't teach the first thing about pitching though because they were tremendous athletes who just figured it out, never studied their own mechanics, and just regurgitate the garbage they were told.

A lot of those Joe Blows have done considerably more work in the realm of teaching the skill. IMO that makes them more qualified.
Obviously all that factors into our choice. I would never just send my kid to any type of skills coach ONLY because they did something or even did it well. It's important to me that a skills coach brings the necessary coaching abilities and to me that includes having been there, done that among other things. However, in my area there are a whole bunch of skills coaches that I would never consider sending my kid to, many of them are former players/athletes.

Apr 14, 2022

Yes not every former pitcher can teach. Many can. If they can they have a leg up.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes not every former pitcher can teach. Many can. If they can they have a leg up.

Maybe. I haven't seen evidence of that from a mechanics standpoint.

Their experience probably has a ton of value when it comes to dealing with pressure, how to handle a defense letting you down, etc.

Apr 14, 2022

Their experience probably has a ton of value when it comes to dealing with pressure, how to handle a defense letting you down, etc.
Because if you have not seen it, then applies to all?
So where does one that has never pitched get their information to regurgitate?

Oct 4, 2018

The younger women who are teaching were taught mechanics. So they teach mechanics. Perhaps the teachers who just figured it out themselves and then because teachers are being replaced by women who were taught mechanics. If my 13 year old became a pitching instructor, she'd be of this new breed where it's all about mechanics, and she'd teach that way. Her pitching instructor teaches mechanics, and was a pitcher in college.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish