So,...you say you know how to...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This post is not to hoo`rang anyone!!! :)
Not meant to be a kick in the leg...
Just a topic~

So parents and coaches...
you say you know how to pitch, hit, be a catcher, ...
*You talk like you know how to do it yourself ;)
Because you have been too all your kids lessons.
Or
Coach you've watched a lot of video's and your brother is a catcher so you know how to...
Dad says
This is how Mike Trout hits
So, i know!

For everyone in DFP land just wondering what everybody's take is
that if you haven't actually physically applied the mechanics that you speak of knowing,
*do you really know how to accomplish success doing what you say you know?
Or do you only know in theory?

Because you haven't actually taught yourself how to physically pitch, hit or be a catcher?!

Screenshot_2021-05-05-07-00-07-1.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
when DD was playing rec, and still working on basic fundamentals, I knew everything ;)

now (best sgt schultz voice) "I know nuuuthing . . . nuutthing". I applaud effort and great results, and on a couple of long high fly balls she has hit this season, simply told her if she was behind it a little more instead of under it just slightly, over the fence (classical physics I have a grasp of, vectors), that is about the extent of it. I learned along the way, if I say something, it is wrong, if instructor says the same thing, it engraved in stone that came down the mountain.

Jun 8, 2016
Wrote this post because a young softball player said to an adult,
'i'm trying, its not as easy as you think'.
Did the adult actually say it was easy? Kids say sh*% to their parents ( I am assuming such a statement from a kid was to their parent..usually don't see that sort of thing said to a coach/instructor) all the time, doesn't mean that it always has any merit..Of course sometimes the adult's behavior may imply they think it is easy which is probably just as bad as actually verbalizing it..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach

proverb Those who are especially skilled in a certain field or area will be able to pursue a career, while those who are less skilled will end up teaching about it instead.A: "I know he always aspired to be a great novelist, but the last I heard he's still teaching middle school English." B: "Well, those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Softball is hard...bottom line. If it were easy, there would be less soccer players.

Jun 26, 2019
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach

proverb Those who are especially skilled in a certain field or area will be able to pursue a career, while those who are less skilled will end up teaching about it instead.A: "I know he always aspired to be a great novelist, but the last I heard he's still teaching middle school English." B: "Well, those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Softball is hard...bottom line. If it were easy, there would be less soccer players.

Here is a slightly different version:
Those who cant do, manage, those who cant manage teach.
Where does that leave me the new know nothing 10u parent who offered to help coach and ended up the coach because nobody else volunteered? Head sucker? Lol, sort of

Mar 6, 2016
Goes both ways. This is a question or idea that goes for all sports. There are many successful coaches who never played or never played at the highest level of their sport. Maybe high school or a little in small colleges. Nor ever played the position they are coaching. Earl Weaver, Jeff Van Gundy, Charlie Weis, Bill Belicheck, Bill Walsh, Greg Popovich, etc. Vice versa, we've all seen or know of some of the greatest players ever that go into coaching and are AWFUL at it. Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky, Bart Starr, Mike Singletary, Isaiah Thomas.

Can you imagine Michael Jordan as a coach???

There are also many, many position coaches (NFL) that coach a position that is different than the one they played. But, they are damn good at it. Others that can't even coach the position they played. Look at some coaches resumes and its LB, DB, DLine, WR, OC, DC, etc.

So having played the game or the position you coach isn't a requirement or needed per say to be a great coach. In fact, I think most of us agree the greatest coaches are they players that were not very good or had to really study the game more or just simply started coaching early and worked their way through the various levels and learned and adapted along the way.

Do you have an understanding of the game and the position(s) (however you gained that)?
Can you TEACH those skills and knowledge to your players in ways THEY can learn it and perform?
Can you develop and improve every players abilities no matter what their foundation is? GREAT coaches adapt their methods based on each player and how they learn and process the information and skills you're teaching.

Oct 14, 2016
Goes both ways. This is a question or idea that goes for all sports. There are many successful coaches who never played or never played at the highest level of their sport. Maybe high school or a little in small colleges. Nor ever played the position they are coaching. Earl Weaver, Jeff Van Gundy, Charlie Weis, Bill Belicheck, Bill Walsh, Greg Popovich, etc. Vice versa, we've all seen or know of some of the greatest players ever that go into coaching and are AWFUL at it. Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky, Bart Starr, Mike Singletary, Isaiah Thomas.

There are also many, many position coaches (NFL) that coach a position that is different than the one they played. But, they are damn good at it. Others that can't even coach the position they played. Look at some coaches resumes and its LB, DB, DLine, WR, OC, DC, etc.

So having played the game or the position you coach isn't a requirement or needed per say to be a great coach. In fact, I think most of us agree the greatest coaches are they players that were not very good or had to really study the game more or just simply started coaching early and worked their way through the various levels and learned and adapted along the way.

Do you have an understanding of the game and the position(s) (however you gained that)?
Can you TEACH those skills and knowledge to your players in ways THEY can learn it and perform?
Can you develop and improve every players abilities no matter what their foundation is? GREAT coaches adapt their methods based on each player and how they learn and process the information and skills you're teaching.

Very well said.

Oct 2, 2017

I was joking with a co-worker just the other day about sports: Have you noticed how many fat guys are on the sidelines teaching in shape athletes how to play the game. LOL

Jun 26, 2019
One other thing to add...
The example RAD used was a kid and parent. What I took from her comment two things: how much do well meaning parents like me know? Also, dont get impatient, get them good coaching and they will get it but it takes time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish