So...anyone try this $99 radar unit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Some info on Radar guns. I had read that the Bushnell Speedster 3 read about 3-4 MPH slow in the mid forty range and up to 7-8 MPH in the 80 mph range. Basically close to 10% slower because it reads later (over the plate) as opposed to out of hand.

I did some experiments by videotaping pitches and then measuring the distance travelled and using the 60 fps frame rate of my camera to calculate the time. I found that at a pitching distance of 40 feet with release at 35 feet, that the readings are about 2-3 mph slow for a pitcher who is gunned in the 42-44 range with a Bushnell. Mind you this is the average speed over the distance since I am using the number of frames and total distance travelled. Presumably the out of hand may be a little higher still. If you are using this gun then I am pretty confident now that you need to add in 3MPH to be closer the actual max speed of a pitch.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My Bushnell was within 1 MPH of a JUGS and when we used the Jugs tuning fork it was still in the same range. A continuous read radar gun does just that, it takes measurements when the trigger is held and stops when you let it go, then gives you the highest reading, not sure why it would read 'read later'. If hold my Bushnell outside my car window it reads the same as my speedometer, not 7-8 mph off.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I don't think the issue is large objects at a constant speed, but small objects that are changing speed. I think mine is accurate for a car and a tuning fork too. But I don't think it measures thrown balls well. Since I last posted I did another test using a 2x4 with ruled markings at 1 " increments and then measured the distance travelled in the first two frames vs last 2 frames of the pitch. First 2 frames was 47-48 mph- last two frames were about 44. Gun measures at 43-44 for most pitches. I'm pretty satisfied that it does not pick up a ball for several tenths of a second after it leaves the hand. Another thing I did was try to gun her from about 3 feet away from her release. The gun gets erratic and measures 17 mph or 8mph. I just think it was designed for general use and not for things that start/stop suddenly. It's a cheap gun so I am not surprised.

Jun 18, 2010
I'm pretty satisfied that it does not pick up a ball for several tenths of a second after it leaves the hand. Another thing I did was try to gun her from about 3 feet away from her release. The gun gets erratic and measures 17 mph or 8mph. I just think it was designed for general use and not for things that start/stop suddenly. It's a cheap gun so I am not surprised.

I tried to measure the bat speed of DD using my pocket radar in two ways, 1) just trying to get a reading off the bat 2) trying to measure the ball hit off a tee. Neither measurement worked. Like you, I was trying to get a reading about 3-8' away. My readings were anywhere from 11 to 14 MPH. I am sure I was too close to get an accurate reading.

Nov 18, 2013
Ever notice a pitcher's parents gun is always off a couple miles per hour slower than the girls actually throw? :)

I've used the Buschnell and Pocket Radar. Both read within 1 mph of the Juggs when compared side by side. The biggest difference I've seen in less expensive guns vs top of the line isn't accuracy, but the cheaper guns give more false readings.

For what it's worth I've also discovered pitching speeds are best kept to yourselves. Even if you're honest, it just opens you to criticism.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Ever notice a pitcher's parents gun is always off a couple miles per hour slower than the girls actually throw? :)

For what it's worth I've also discovered pitching speeds are best kept to yourselves. Even if you're honest, it just opens you to criticism.

Funny you should say this, the reason I looked into it in the first place was because I kept hearing people say that she pitchers faster than I was saying.

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Have the bushnell III gun, after reading this it looks like it maybe reading 3 -4 mph slower. Had girls that where clocked at an NFCA camp, speeds where 4 mph faster.

Nov 9, 2013
The best radar products on the market are manufactured by Sport Sensors, Inc. I have used the Swing Speed Reader to measure bat speed for years. It is accurate and durable. They also make a radar that attaches to the glove to measure throwing speed. You can contact them at sportssensors.com

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Radar uses radio waves which travel at the speed of light so the signal that is emitted by the gun reflects back immediately, the idea that the gun takes several seconds to pick up an object is not true. Some of the Bushnells are not constant read guns. I don't think the Pocket Radar is a constant read gun, it takes a 'snapshot' when you activate it, so to get an accurate reading your timing has to be perfect. Like I said I did a side by side comparison with a Jugs where both guns were reading the same ball and the guns were never more than 1 mph apart, in some cases the Jugs was the slower one. I take readings regularly and in my experience pitchers are slower than everyone thinks, especially their parents. Also keep in mind that at camps/clinics/lessons when readings are taken the pitchers are typically throwing as hard as they can whereas in games this is not the case. Taking bat speed readings is tricky, remember that all radar guns read the most accurately when they are in direct line with the path of the object that they are tracking. The path of a bat is circular, at what point in the swing is it going the fastest? It's further complicated by the fact that since the bat path is circular the tip of the bat is going faster than the label or the handle.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Radar uses radio waves which travel at the speed of light so the signal that is emitted by the gun reflects back immediately, the idea that the gun takes several seconds to pick up an object is not true. Some of the Bushnells are not constant read guns. I don't think the Pocket Radar is a constant read gun, it takes a 'snapshot' when you activate it, so to get an accurate reading your timing has to be perfect. Like I said I did a side by side comparison with a Jugs where both guns were reading the same ball and the guns were never more than 1 mph apart, in some cases the Jugs was the slower one. I take readings regularly and in my experience pitchers are slower than everyone thinks, especially their parents. Also keep in mind that at camps/clinics/lessons when readings are taken the pitchers are typically throwing as hard as they can whereas in games this is not the case. Taking bat speed readings is tricky, remember that all radar guns read the most accurately when they are in direct line with the path of the object that they are tracking. The path of a bat is circular, at what point in the swing is it going the fastest? It's further complicated by the fact that since the bat path is circular the tip of the bat is going faster than the label or the handle.

I'm pretty familiar with the physics behind the technology. I was an electrical engineer for a decade. The fact that the signal travels at the speed of light has nothing to do with how well it measures speed. The measurement is a function of the power emitted, quality of the sensor and the design of the electronics. It's like saying all speakers are the same because sound travels at a certain speed.

My take on it is that the power emitted is lower and maybe the sensor is not high quality so it needs the object to be closer to get a good reading. Or I could use economics to explain it. IF a $100 radar gun was as good as a $500 gun, then there would be no more $500 guns around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish