So...anyone try this $99 radar unit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm pretty familiar with the physics behind the technology. I was an electrical engineer for a decade. The fact that the signal travels at the speed of light has nothing to do with how well it measures speed. The measurement is a function of the power emitted, quality of the sensor and the design of the electronics. It's like saying all speakers are the same because sound travels at a certain speed.

My take on it is that the power emitted is lower and maybe the sensor is not high quality so it needs the object to be closer to get a good reading. Or I could use economics to explain it. IF a $100 radar gun was as good as a $500 gun, then there would be no more $500 guns around.

I think this is accurate. I have the Slugger unit I posted this thread about on demo. I used the unit 5 feet in front of home plate and then moved it to about 15 feet from release. The measurements were consistent. When the unit was back readings from 47-50. When the unit was closer readings from 50-53.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I was with a dad last night who has the Bushnell. His daughter is now a Freshman D1 college pitcher. She throws as condfirmed on a Jugs 61-62 topping at 63. He said she has always read only 57-59 on his Bushnell. So he compared side by side and found his Busnell was 3 to 4 slower at the same location under the same circumstances. Take it for what it's worth as I wasn't there to witness it. I liked the story because that made my DD popping it at 53-55 at age 13.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Owner of pocket radar tells me it reads just the same as $150 Bushnell. Both read slower (they say) by 3 - 4 than the Jugs when standing in the same position.

I would be curious with pocket or Bushnell if you go and stand 20 feet in front of pitcher and just barely to the side what your reading is. I bet its 2 mph faster.

Jun 24, 2013
Pocket Radar is on amazon for $120, it is sold out but you can join the wait list and probably still grab one.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Owner of pocket radar tells me it reads just the same as $150 Bushnell. Both read slower (they say) by 3 - 4 than the Jugs when standing in the same position.

I would be curious with pocket or Bushnell if you go and stand 20 feet in front of pitcher and just barely to the side what your reading is. I bet its 2 mph faster.

I'm too scared to try this, maybe I'll rig something up that will let DD pitch at it and still protect it if she hits it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd