smells like tryout time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Seems like everybody and their brother around here is looking for a pitcher at 14U right now. Is it like a "thing" for pitchers to reshuffle between fall and spring? Our team lost one and we need to pick up another one. Where did they all go?

Pitchers parents tend to wear thicker rose colored glasses than most, and because of the position they play they are coveted more than they would be otherwise. It seems like all of the pitchers and their parents are in a hurry to get their DD onto the marquee organizational teams, even though they already have 4 other pitchers...baffles me.

Nov 12, 2016
Walnut Grove, GA.
I said I was exaggerating. It was to make the point that 6-7 starting-level pitchers is probably not maintainable. Of course there are good pitchers outside of the big 3 (here, it's 3 big names, several kind of second tier, then a bunch of others); but the big 3 tend to attract them more easily. Getting a quality pitcher on a no-name team is harder. That's just the way it is. Some of us with good pitchers don't want to be 1 of 7, or deal with the higher level of crazy you see in 10U with the highly competitive teams. But a lot of the parents seem to get caught up in the name chasing even at this age. *shrug* It's no skin off my nose, just an observation.

Yeah I know you were but you said "a little". JK. I completely agree with you with however. You need more than one but you can't properly develop them if you are trying to pitch 6-7 girls. I know of the local teams you are referring to.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
This is DD#1-(98) last season before heading off to college and she is going back to a team she played for before. She has no desire to play for her Kansas high school team in the spring so she is playing for a Missouri based team, since they play HS in the fall, and hopes to get a look from the college that she has already academically committed to. DD#2 had a bad experience last year with a team. She is taking the spring/summer season off and will guest play when she is not working. I wish they were 10U again and I cherish the memories. Went by way to fast.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
This is DD#1-(98) last season before heading off to college and she is going back to a team she played for before. She has no desire to play for her Kansas high school team in the spring so she is playing for a Missouri based team, since they play HS in the fall, and hopes to get a look from the college that she has already academically committed to. DD#2 had a bad experience last year with a team. She is taking the spring/summer season off and will guest play when she is not working. I wish they were 10U again and I cherish the memories. Went by way to fast.

Not me, I'm glad we are done with youth softball. My DD had some good years and a couple of bad years. Overall, I enjoyed the summers and watching her play but the thing I won't miss is all the backstabbing and drama that goes on between the girls and also the parents.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Pitchers parents tend to wear thicker rose colored glasses than most, and because of the position they play they are coveted more than they would be otherwise. It seems like all of the pitchers and their parents are in a hurry to get their DD onto the marquee organizational teams, even though they already have 4 other pitchers...baffles me.

It's almost like all the pitchers and their parents are hanging out in some secret clubhouse and giggling at all the teams who are down a pitcher right now. They are in a power position, that's for sure. If you look at the local Bulletin Board for 14U, it's like all of them disappeared at once. Of course, I'm a catcher mom, so this is all outsider observation. Pitchers certainly do appear to be harder to satisfy. I think they get jerked around more often by coaches too, though.

Jan 22, 2011
It's almost like all the pitchers and their parents are hanging out in some secret clubhouse and giggling at all
the teams who are down a pitcher right now. They are in a power position, that's for sure. If you look at the local Bulletin Board for 14U, it's like all of them disappeared at once. Of course, I'm a catcher mom, so this is all outsider observation. Pitchers certainly do appear to be harder to satisfy. I think they get jerked around more often by coaches too, though.

My DD's team has lost four catchers over the past 12 months. Maybe I shouldn't have brought Jay Weaver out to do a camp ;)

Apr 28, 2014

I can't speak for others but we did try to get our DD into a marque organization. In our area (like most) there are tons of teams. Mostly daddy ball. I am not opposed to daddy ball as I know that without parent coaches there would be very few teams.
The organization that DD joined offered her some important things that no other in our area offered.

* Produced a pitcher (2015) that is pitching for a top 5 program in the Nation. (Were a North East Team).
* Has 2 dedicated Pitching Coaches on staff (use them if you want, if not no problem use your own). Both coaches have pitched in D1 programs and have DD's that are in D1 programs currently
* Winning teams in all age groups that always has an 18U gold program in key showcases including top stage at Diamond 9
* Team teaches how to play the game. (Coaches do fundamentals coaching 1 hour per week with the team). DD has learned so much about the game. So did I!
* Attracts top talent in the area. Our First year team has surprised the regional teams that have been together for 4-5 years.
* Excellent hitting coach
* Team runs very intense (College like) practices that push the team hard.

We have 3 pitchers on our team. DD was the top pitcher on our team last season. We were a "B" team mainly playing in USSSA tournaments. No pitcher on our team was pushing DD. She is not internally motivated so in my opinion she slacked off. This season she sees that she will need to work really hard as the other two pitchers are good, really good... Coach uses them a few innings each game so they always need to be mentally ready to go. She is now serious about maintaining her body. She runs daily and even has been eating and sleeping better.
Now there are not many teams in our area like the one she's joined but I can say with 100% confidence that she would never have grown as much as she has in the last 5 months if she played for a different team. The costs are middle of the pack compared to other organizations in our area.
We lost friends by leaving her last team. It was a great organization but didn't put a premium on developing pitchers. They were more interested in developing Shortstops and hitters. We miss the friends but if taking our kid to a different team to help her get better causes a guy to not like me anymore I guess that's okay?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
It's almost like all the pitchers and their parents are hanging out in some secret clubhouse and giggling at all the teams who are down a pitcher right now. They are in a power position, that's for sure. If you look at the local Bulletin Board for 14U, it's like all of them disappeared at once. Of course, I'm a catcher mom, so this is all outsider observation. Pitchers certainly do appear to be harder to satisfy. I think they get jerked around more often by coaches too, though.

Yep. I think it's a combination of unrealistic expectations on the parents' part, and the fact that some coaches will say anything to *get* the pitcher even if they don't mean it. But when they don't follow through usually the pitcher will go elsewhere next season so there's a lot of movement.

Although, I'm seeing so much movement right now in all kinds of positions. Girls whose parents committed them to a team, and suddenly they're on a different team, and nothing's even happened yet. The season hasn't started. What went wrong already? It's like a soap opera. Parents I know who have been trying since 8U to get their daughter on that big name, and they finally finally get her there, it's interesting to watch and see if they like it - different team every half season for 3 years, I'm thinking they won't. You get to know people and find out which ones are never satisfied, and watching what they do. One team here has at least 3 real problem parents that I know of, all 3 new to the team for spring. I feel a little bad for watching it like I'd watch a really good reality TV show but I can't help it. I hear the coach is a really nice guy though, so I do feel sorry for what he will likely go through over the next 6 months.

Jul 15, 2016
This thread makes me really happy we are on the team we are on. We are not a "big name" organization but play some of them in tourneys. Our girls dont have any drama and want the best for each other. We have 3 pitchers that are all the #1 pitcher pending on who is hot that day or that game. We only lost one girl after the fall season. I just cant imagine all the drama that goes on. It sounds crazy!! We are still in 10U but Im hoping we stay together as long as possible!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We lost friends by leaving her last team. It was a great organization but didn't put a premium on developing pitchers. They were more interested in developing Shortstops and hitters. We miss the friends but if taking our kid to a different team to help her get better causes a guy to not like me anymore I guess that's okay?

I would estimate that 80-90% of pitcher development should be done at home during bucket time and pitching lessons. Team practices should be about fundamentals and defense, not about developing pitchers. Games are opportunities to see how a pitcher stacks up against the competition, test her mental toughness, and to learn what she needs to work on during the week.

Most organizations do not have pitching coaches on staff, and I would be leery of the ones that do. I prefer the freedom to choose who my DD takes lessons from vs. being told we had to use the organizations pitching coach. I would also like to point out that being a great D1 pitcher does not automatically make someone a great pitching coach. Michael Jordan was a great basketball player, but he was a terrible coach...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez