Slow DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 31, 2014
My DD is 8 yrs old. She is fairly new to playing. She's been doing great. But when I see her practice she looks slow which makes her look lazy. I know she likes playing. She gets upset when she cant practice but when I see her out there with her team its so slow. How can I help her "wake up" while on the field?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Is she a perfectionist? I still go through this with DD occasionally, typically she's overthinking, which is why it doesn't seem slow to her when I ask about it.
You might try video to get her to see it, but be very careful how you phrase questions about it.

Dec 31, 2014
Yes she is not aggressive, over thinks, takes her time. I know its fairly knw to her but I thought she'd move a little more but shes doing the same as last season.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Yes she is not aggressive, over thinks, takes her time. I know its fairly knw to her but I thought she'd move a little more but shes doing the same as last season.

Well, I'd suggest you work to reinforce that she already knows what to do, her first instinct is usually correct, and it's OK to be gloriously, flailingly wrong.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The most important thing to consider: is she having fun? It appears the answer is yes.

If she is agreeable, maybe you can work with her on her fielding sometimes. As long as you can make it a FUN thing for her. One local coach suggests ice cream after these sort of practices.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK if it applies to your DD but at that age my DD appeared slow too. She needed to pay attention to who she was throwing to, so she would catch the ball, pause, then throw it.

Maybe see if she can practice with an older age group or some older players and see if the Issue goes away. Or maybe get a net she can throw to. Hit the ball to her, put the net on 1st and have her launch the ball with no fear of hurting anyone.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would not do a thing. Let her play and do what the others do and give it time. She is 8 years old and will have enough videos and photos of herself by the time she graduates from HS with her iphone, there's no need to rush it. Really, diagnosing an 8 year old. Time to step back and look at the posts about why DDs quit softball by the age of 12.....

Respectfully disagree.... The video at whatever stage can always be helpful. When she's turned into a monster like my DD, she'll love lookin back and laughin @ herself... & realize what I had to go through...lol :cool:

This is DD when she was 8....she was the worst thower I had ever seen. Can't wait til she runs into one like herself to try to teach to throw...Even though it is bad, I'm hoping you can find encouragement from it... :cool:

[video=youtube_share;rNOybeHcHy8]http://youtu.be/rNOybeHcHy8[/video]

Last edited:

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
It was the same for my daughter, she was fundamentally strong, but not really quick and too deliberate in her actions at 8U. What really seemed to flip the switch for her was going to see a D1 team play and sit up close. Think she got it right away watching them what "fast" really looked like in fastpitch (and to not sweat errors too much). She couldn't wait to get back on field and try to play like the college players. She went 180 to over-playing and had to work to rein her in a bit (much better problem though IMO). Had a catcher on that college team tell her "if you aren't making any errors you aren't playing hard enough" which helped too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan