Sliding into home rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
I hear a ton of myth "rules" about the requirement to slide into home.

Asa rec 12u. Can you guys fill me in on this rule, it's applications and what is real vs bs.

I try to get my girls to slide into home unless it is a complete open door. Work in progress. But I want to better understand the rule so I can calmly discuss with the umps.

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
RT1 is correct and the linked thread covers it quite nicely.

You mentioned 12u rec...many rec leagues put a "must slide" rule into place. Check you local league rules.
If your league has such a rule, refer to the board of directors or whoever the leadership of the league is for how they want their rule interpreted...then lobby them to get rid of it!

Feb 3, 2011
I was just about to mention this in that mask thread that refuses to end.

Many rec coaches tell their players that 'the rules' require them to slide into home plate if there's a play on. "If you don't slide, the umpire is going to call you out!"

In ASA, sliding is not mandated. Players are not allowed to deliberately cause collisions, so that's what they're required to avoid.

May 27, 2013
This is the Little League rule: 7.08(a)(3) -- Any runner is out when ... the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag.

So, in essence, the BR should avoid deliberately colliding with the fielder. When my dd was pitching and then covered home on a PB, the runner from 3rd intentionally ran into her when she caught the ball from the catcher and was not blocking the plate. She wound up breaking dd's arm; and was called safe since she knocked the ball out of dd's glove......at 10U Districts. Complete BS.

Jun 22, 2008
There is a big difference in a runner colliding with a fielder in the process of catching the ball and making a tag and a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to apply a tag.

May 27, 2013
Ball was in her glove and she went to apply the tag while standing at the top inner corner (3rd base side) of home plate (not on it) and the BR collided with her arms fully extended out. Home plate was wide open; girl chose to barrel into her. Still BS.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ball was in her glove and she went to apply the tag while standing at the top inner corner (3rd base side) of home plate (not on it) and the BR collided with her arms fully extended out. Home plate was wide open; girl chose to barrel into her. Still BS.

Runner out and ejected.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Well, the plate was not "wide open", but that is completely irrelevant to any rule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13